Turkey Wang

crackerdave

I found a wing from a wild turkey in the dumpster - anybody want it? I'm not a tyer.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I'll take the primary flight feather(Biot Feather). Thats the front feather on the wing. The fibers are very stiff and are used in tying wings and tails on flies.

BOSSOFTHEWOODS

Learn something new every day. I got quite a few of those. Got an old VCR tape some where that was titled "tying w/ turkey biots" . Guess I never bothered to learn what "biot " exactly meant. Hey Im old & slow ,gimme a break:rolleyes:

StriperAddict

Learn something new every day. I got quite a few of those. Got an old VCR tape some where that was titled "tying w/ turkey biots" . Guess I never bothered to learn what "biot " exactly meant. Hey Im old & slow ,gimme a break:rolleyes:

Me too.

And I thought Dave was talkin about discarded hot wings :D

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I have a bunch of pheasant tails, not sure if those are used.

Pheasant Tails are one of the most used feathers for tying nymphs. Pheasant Tail Nymphs are a staple of most trout fly boxes.

crackerdave

Nice to know I'm not the onliest one!:D

Paymaster - you're in Heard county,I'm in Troup - about 25 minutes from Franklin.I'll bring the wing to the boat ramp there if you want ,or if you'll show me a picture of the feathers you want,I'll mail 'em to you.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Nice to know I'm not the onliest one!:D

Paymaster - you're in Heard county,I'm in Troup - about 25 minutes from Franklin.I'll bring the wing to the boat ramp there if you want ,or if you'll show me a picture of the feathers you want,I'll mail 'em to you.

First feathers on a birds wings.The outer edge is stiff and narrow. The very first one is the best but you can use the first two or three.

Attachments

• SpreadWing.jpg
    SpreadWing.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 124

crackerdave

Got it! If you'll pm your mailing address,I'll send 'em on.
Should I pluck the whole feathers,or just cut 'em off with scissors?

Scissors are good. PM sent.

Toxic

Hey guys, I can get you a bunch but not until next turkey season, I am using the ones I saved this year.