Turning a Remington "jam master" into a true Woodsmaster

WoodlandScout82

So my wifes dad gave her her first deer rifle. It's a 1978 Remington 742 "Woodsmaster" in .30-06. It was only fired 4 times and came with the original 2 boxes of ammo bought with it with the 4 rounds missing. I'm a machiist and have been gunsmithing for nearly 20 years, so I have dealt with many Many of these rifles. The majority of their problems came from poor maintence, so it was nice to get ahold of one that is in pretty much new condition. We decided to take it one step further before it goes out for its first season Ever.
Here's what I've done:
-squared the muzzle
-cut a recessed 11 degree crown
-threaded 5/8-24
- machined a muzzle brake from 17-4 stainless and flame colored
-machined an extended length scope base
-drilled and tapped the receiver for over-sized mounting screws
-polished the guide rod and bead blasted the spring
-hand lapped the bolt and receiver with 1200 grit clover compound
-squared the bolt face to the breech and lapped the locking lugs to the chamber lugs
-lapped the action bars to the receiver

Next is a trigger job and then its down to accessories. Hope you enjoy the pics!20180702_131457.jpg20180702_151402.jpg20180703_103156.jpg20180703_103054.jpg20180613_202659.jpg20180703_133423.jpg20180702_103603.jpgreceived_2028852307137555.jpeg

nmurph

Why a MB on a gun as soft- shooting as a 742?

I have my dad's 742 30-06. He hunted with it for two decades bf he bought a 700. It probably doesn't have 200 shots on it and it hasn't been shot in many years. It sits lonely in the back of the safe, waiting for me to get it to the smith for a tune up.

Nice work, BTW.

nmurph

This is my wifes rifle. I'm just making it as comfortable and cool for her as I can.?

Smart man!... but then again, there's the increase in noise.

BTW, that's about the same model year as my dad's. He killed quite a few deer with it but got tired of the jamming. I don't think he ever used it again after he got his 700 .270. A good cleaning would probably help its reliability.

Last edited:

WoodlandScout82

Smart man!... but then again, there's the increase in noise.

BTW, that's about the same model year as my dad's. He killed quite a few deer with it but got tired of the jamming. I don't think he ever used it again after he got his 700 .270. A good cleaning would probably help its reliability.[/QUOTE
Coincidentally, my wife is deaf. My rifle came with a permanent brake. As for jamming. I've worked on dozens of 742s and the problems were 95% due to lack of cleaning

cmshoot

A shop I used to work at, I would clean firearms for customers from time to time. Worst, filthiest, rustiest rifles I had folks bring in were 742's. I would usually hear, "It was my Grandad's, then my Dad's, now it's mine. Keeps jammin'.....don't think it's ever been cleaned."

Darkhorse

Nice work. I had one of those in the early 70's in '06. I used RCBS small based dies and had 24 empty 30 caliber bullet boxes when I sold it. This doesn't include the factory rounds I shot to get brass. This rifle ejected the hottest empty case's I've ever seen. For years I had a perfect 06 case outline burned into my right bicep.
I used coffee pot cleaning brushes I bought at the grocery store to clean the chamber after every shooting session. They were nylon and not very stiff but it was all I had and they worked.

transfixer

Very nice ! I have one that my Dad gave me when I was 16yrs old, took I don't know how many deer with it, before I bought a M77 .243 and started hunting clearcuts. Still have the 742, maybe I'll get it out and see about getting it refinished ?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looking great! Those were good old rifles, even if some folks don't like them. My son killed his first deer with an old 742 in '06.