Turnip patch for people

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Nic,those purple tops I talked about planting the other day. Well I planted them and they're up in a good stand,I'm wondering if I planted enough for me and the wife. There are 13,75 foot rows. What do you allow?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You`re gonna have more turnips than you can haul off. I`ve been dragging but I did get some collards planted. Still need to slip some turnips, mustard, and cabbage in the dirt.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I'm sharing a story from my past,and before that, about turnips. I was at a friends place in Jones County in the middle 70s. The property was an old dairy. The friends grandfather was there,he built and operated the dairy for many years, and we talked about what it was like in his day. The old fellow was surely born before 1900 or so. He told me about a country doctor coming by to visit when he was child. The doctor made a comment about how he thought the people there would stay healthy that winter and coming spring,they had a turnip patch planted. With the old ways of eating cured pork, sweet potatoes,syrup,and a lot of biscuits,those turnips provided much needed vitamins and minerals for rural people,and the doctor knew it.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Worked out my turnips today with a pushplow. Found out that toady frogs are skeered of a pushplow. A big old dark one ran from mine,from one row to the next,wasn't smart enough to double back to already plowed ground. And another funny thing, something has pulled up some of my turnips,and bit off the tops of some. There were deer tracks closeby to the bitten off and pulled up ones. Reckon there's a connection?