Tybee shark question

Richf7

The powers that be, do realize its the ocean and there is always sharks cruising a beach, whether folks are fishing for them or not.

Typical .Gov idiots

The powers that be don’t understand squat.

GTMODawg

BANNED
We caught a bunch of big fish at Tybee back about '03-'06.

We had a good crew, no rogue stuff, and the cops knew us. They looked the other way, and left us to it. We caught and tagged probably 50 fish over 8 feet. I even had a tag returned that was caught off South Florida. Noaa sent me a hat and details of the re-catch. There were a bunch of big Lemons that we caught over and over sometimes in the same trip.

All it took was a couple of Karens (before they had a name) and a bad clip on the Savannah News, and we were told the fun was over.

Why would anyone voluntarily swim at Tybee anyway??? Most of the time you would need a dust pan to get the "water" off yourself instead of a towel.

There is an irrational fear associated with sharks....would that simply fishing for them was a good way to attract them LOL. Very few people are aware of where large sharks spend a good portion of their time....they think they are in the ocean somewhere but not where people are swimming. Categorically not true....sharks prowl the dirtied water in the surf because its full of food. If you are in the first ditch there are sharks which may not make a meal of you but can easily amputate arms and legs and they are there in impressive numbers....very few people ever see one but they are there.

Once upon a time I surf fished Cumberland Island regularly and we caught some massive sharks hard up against the beach and lost many we couldn't do anything with. They are there year round, morning noon and night....if you are in the first trough you have been very close to some truly impressive fish.....this true of any coast line anywhere that is warm enough to swim and even in cold water they are there. Its where they live....

Seanote

I have caught many sharks off the Tybee pier while red fishing. I don't eat them, but I didn't have any problems fin ding someone who does.

Blackston

I used to catch sharks feeding on pogies at butter bean beach ( behind skidaway island) They are more than people think .... Shrimping industry kept em a little more in check before by catch reducers ..... In my opinion sport fishing ( whatever it looks like ) is not the problem