Tying a little

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those look good. The second picture alone accounts for probably 40% of my subsurface catch. If there was a tellico in that picture it would be about 80%.
That is what I use instead of a Tellico.

splatek

UAEC
Yeah I didn't see a tellico, but man those are some classic good looking flies.
I am hoping to head up tomorrow depending on additional rains and drainage of the streams. It's been just too darn long. While I am up there i will probably try to find a few lost trail cams.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Some very nice ties.

Taxman

I know of a pool that those Royal Jim Charley and Hazel Creek flies would
find a nice mouth to feed!! Dern ugly flies but a couple of those big browns
seem to like "Ugly"!!

trad bow

I know of a pool that those Royal Jim Charley and Hazel Creek flies would
find a nice mouth to feed!! Dern ugly flies but a couple of those big browns
seem to like "Ugly"!!
Those Hazel Creek flies sure did draw my attention. Just wish my tying skills could produce some of those beauties.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Those Hazel Creek flies sure did draw my attention. Just wish my tying skills could produce some of those beauties.

I've seen your flies and I think you could tie them.

trad bow

Thanks GW but I know I’m not that good.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Steve, I'd trade a case if Yuengling for some of those Charlie's Whoppers and Verlin Deluxe.

trad bow

Yes. Well I think I do. Bought some supplies not to long ago. Definitely got some white calf hair. I’ll crawl upstairs in a bit and refresh my memory.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Yes. Well I think I do. Bought some supplies not to long ago. Definitely got some white calf hair. I’ll crawl upstairs in a bit and refresh my memory.

I've got some white calf hair also.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks GW but I know I’m not that good.
The Hazel Creek isn't hard to tie at all, but it's a very productive spring pattern. I learned to tie it from Roger Lowe, the guy who invented it, and one of my fellow Haywood County natives. Here is a good video tutorial by one of my Painter Creek homies/ cousins:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Steve, I'd trade a case if Yuengling for some of those Charlie's Whoppers and Verlin Deluxe.
I'll tie you up some for free if you'll come back up and camp and fish with me again and bring your sketchy BIL. A fifth half-gallon of Knob Creek and some scallops and lobsters and whole beef tenderloins would be good, though. :bounce:

I'm presently tying to find a source of bronze mallard flank feathers to tie a big batch of Charlie Whoppers.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I'll tie you up some for free if you'll come back up and camp and fish with me again and bring your sketchy BIL. A fifth half-gallon of Knob Creek and some scallops and lobsters and whole beef tenderloins would be good, though. :bounce:

I'm presently tying to find a source of bronze mallard flank feathers to tie a big batch of Charlie Whoppers.
Probably a source of mallard flanks paddling up and down the river in front of your place right now...

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Here is another way to tie the Hazel Creek

trad bow

Do you have any white hackle?
I have some white rooster long saddles, some white ostrich herl but no hackle. Got a lot of stuff leftover from my salt fishing days that I need to start tying crappie jigs with.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I wonder which fly would be best.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I have some white rooster long saddles, some white ostrich herl but no hackle. Got a lot of stuff leftover from my salt fishing days that I need to start tying crappie jigs with.

Curious if the white calf hair would work for the wings on the Hazel /Creek fly.