Tying a little

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
My golden pheasant tail doesn’t have that color in it that is shown in the video.

trad bow

It could work but don’t know how well it would hold upright after a few dunkings.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word

trad bow

Just found some white fish air that might work

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Just found some white fish air that might work

When I get out of the kitchen and go downstairs I will look at what all I might have.

trad bow

We will just have to try some to see what’s what. Can’t believe out of all the hackles I have there is no white in there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
We will just have to try some to see what’s what. Can’t believe out of all the hackles I have there is no white in there.

Having had a peek at your collection I can't either.

trad bow

I’m about ready to go to bed. I’m worn out.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I’m about ready to go to bed. I’m worn out.

As soon as the bread comes out of the oven I won't be long for up either.

trout maharishi

I like the Hazel Ck fly too. I think any yellow colored fly is good choice in the spring and summertime. I like to use white hen hackle tips for the wings. There're a little more rounded and less air resistant. I also like to hackle mine a little heavier than most I see.

Attachments

• 18519953_10211109446545101_1568811035664499199_n.jpg
    18519953_10211109446545101_1568811035664499199_n.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

trout maharishi

Curious if the white calf hair would work for the wings on the Hazel /Creek fly.
You can use calf hair for the wings. That's what's used for flies like the Royal Wulff, Thunderhead, and Smoky Mt Candy use. Matter of fact I like the hair winged flies much better than hackle tip wings. They float better and are more durable.

trout maharishi

If anybody on earth oughta know what it is, it's you, Steve. :) I bet you know just which Verlin it's named after, too. Verlin Evans was one of the first folks who taught me how to tie flies, sitting around a picnic table at Cataloochee tying by the light of a Coleman lantern. You were probably there. He tied this thing he called his "yaller nymph." It was just some yaller yarn wrapped around a hook with a brown or furnace hackle palmered around it, then clipped down to about 1/16" or so. And it caught fish. I started tying it, and later on, made it a little fancier. It is one of the best all-around nymphs I have ever used, one of my go-tos for the last forty years. Wild fish, stockers, whatever. #10 bottom dredger to #16 dropper, it just flat works. I call it the Verlin Deluxe in honor of Verlin and his yaller nymph that I stole from him and pimped up. One of my favorite flies.

Hook: #10-16. My go-to is a #14 curved-shank like you would tie Stimulators on.
Weight: Black nickel tungsten bead and ten wraps of lead wire sized to the hook size
Tail: Mallard flank dyed yellow
Body: Hareline yellow dubbing
Rib: Brown or furnace hackle palmered and clipped short
Legs/gills: Mallard flank dyed yellow
Thorax: Peacock herl

Tie you some up and try them. I think you'll like them. Verlin will look down and smile. Jack Bradley is probably lookin' on, too. He liked Verlin's yaller nymphs. Pour out a sip for both of them, and Ethan, too.
Thanks Steve(y) I don't remember seeing Verlin tie that nymph. Of course in those days my vision was often kinda fuzzy long about dark;) I really like your version, I think peacock is one of those materials that add something special to any fly. Is Shannon related to Charlie Messer?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Steve(y) I don't remember seeing Verlin tie that nymph. Of course in those days my vision was often kinda fuzzy long about dark;) I really like your version, I think peacock is one of those materials that add something special to any fly. Is Shannon related to Charlie Messer?
Verlin's version was just a yellow yarn body with a hackle wound around it and clipped. No tail, no legs, no thorax. I caught a lot of fish on the original version, but you know how us tiers always gotta make something more complicated. :)

And yeah, Shannon is Charlies great-nephew or something like that. Part of the time I was growing up, we lived just a couple curves down the road from Charlie. He was my cousin somehow or another, I'm kin to most all those Painter Creek Messers.

trout maharishi

NC Hillbilly said ''He was my cousin somehow or another, I'm kin to most all those Painter Creek Messers." If you get a divorce up there in that hollow does that mean she's still your cousin?:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
NC Hillbilly said ''He was my cousin somehow or another, I'm kin to most all those Painter Creek Messers." If you get a divorce up there in that hollow does that mean she' still your cousin?:ROFLMAO:
Depends on how purty she is. :bounce: