Ugly Quartz points

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Bottom left looks like flint to me. Bottom middle is a Morrow Mtn maybe?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Most of those are metaquartzite, except I don't think the red one is (it's showing flake scars.) I'ts likely some kind of jasper. And the bottom left one is chert. I don't think quartz and quartzite points are ugly at all. I respect the skill that it took to make them from almost unworkable material.

300_wsm

Most of those are metaquartzite, except I don't think the red one is (it's showing flake scars.) I'ts likely some kind of jasper. And the bottom left one is chert. I don't think quartz and quartzite points are ugly at all. I respect the skill that it took to make them from almost unworkable material.

I absolutely agree that there not ugly. I wrote that kinda as click bait. Thanks for your advice on the red looking point other side has better flake scars. Here's a better look at it

Attachments

• 20210427_130324.jpg
    20210427_130324.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 42

JB0704

I Gots Goats
In my area of west ga (Franklin area) we find a few very similar to the bottom left which I was sure were points, but I’ve also found some rocks similar to the top left I wasn’t sure if they were points or not. They all have sharp edges and parts that look worked, but how does one know it it’s a point or just a rock? I have saved a few in case I ever get educated on the matter.......

Attachments

• C179FA87-E454-4360-909B-E6DC687B2543.jpeg
    C179FA87-E454-4360-909B-E6DC687B2543.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 40

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In my area of west ga (Franklin area) we find a few very similar to the bottom left which I was sure were points, but I’ve also found some rocks similar to the top left I wasn’t sure if they were points or not. They all have sharp edges and parts that look worked, but how does one know it it’s a point or just a rock? I have saved a few in case I ever get educated on the matter.......
A couple of those are definitely points, but a couple may not be. Hard to say from a pic. You have to see signs of it being worked by humans.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I absolutely agree that there not ugly. I wrote that kinda as click bait. Thanks for your advice on the red looking point other side has better flake scars. Here's a better look at it
That is some unique material. Not sure what it is.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
A couple of those are definitely points, but a couple may not be. Hard to say from a pic. You have to see signs of it being worked by humans.

Top two n bottom middle def points? I think I need a magnifying glass or something. But signs of being worked.......chips along edges? Just curious. I kept these thinking they might be something, but have tossed just as many similar back in the field.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Top two n bottom middle def points? I think I need a magnifying glass or something. But signs of being worked.......chips along edges? Just curious. I kept these thinking they might be something, but have tossed just as many similar back in the field.
The one on the right and the two middle ones are definitely points. The one on the right is the base of a broken stemmed point.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
The one on the right and the two middle ones are definitely points. The one on the right is the base of a broken stemmed point.

Thank you. I may have broken that one with my harrows. Problem with turning the field is I probably break way more points then I find by doing it.......but hard to find them if I don't turn it. Thanks for the info!