Uh Oh,,,,picked up a long bow today,,

Alan in GA

:bounce:
I service Chuck's and "The Fish Hawk" in Buckhead [pest control].
Gary of TFH had a friend's Hoyt Gamegetter II in the basement. Although those guys like all bows,,,it seems they enjoy slinging a few arrows in the store with some nice Traditional bows now and then.
Well,,
uh,,
Hmmm. Now I have a problem. I've been lucky enough to NOT find or try a traditional that shot worth a poop. Until today that is.
Wow.
WOW. Although the arrows weren't matched as well as they could be, they went right where I looked [about 20 yards]. And fast. Chrono? Nope,,just "pip,,ZIP,,pop" and the arrow was GONE!
I think I've found a new love. They suggested I travel to Alabamo to a traditional bow builder - Sipsey Trad Archery.
Said he would help me find 'my' bow.
How come no one warned me about this "here, try this" traditional bow drug?
Just say 'yes' to traditional bows????
I've got THREE top grade compounds. But the few shots I had today with a 'fair' traditional [ok,,a 3 piece bow] may possibly have been the "crack" of bow druggery.
I shot every day in the late 1960s with my Red Wing Hunter bow. Today may have done me in,,,,again.

What do I do now?

Alan in GA

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member
:bounce:
I service Chuck's and "The Fish Hawk" in Buckhead [pest control].
Gary of TFH had a friend's Hoyt Gamegetter II in the basement. Although those guys like all bows,,,it seems they enjoy slinging a few arrows in the store with some nice Traditional bows now and then.
Well,,
uh,,
Hmmm. Now I have a problem. I've been lucky enough to NOT find or try a traditional that shot worth a poop. Until today that is.
Wow.
WOW. Although the arrows weren't matched as well as they could be, they went right where I looked [about 20 yards]. And fast. Chrono? Nope,,just "pip,,ZIP,,pop" and the arrow was GONE!
I think I've found a new love. They suggested I travel to Alabamo to a traditional bow builder - Sipsey Trad Archery.
Said he would help me find 'my' bow.
How come no one warned me about this "here, try this" traditional bow drug?
Just say 'yes' to traditional bows????
I've got THREE top grade compounds. But the few shots I had today with a 'fair' traditional [ok,,a 3 piece bow] may possibly have been the "crack" of bow druggery.
I shot every day in the late 1960s with my Red Wing Hunter bow. Today may have done me in,,,,again.

What do I do now?

Alan in GA

I-20 will get you to Bama :cool:

WildmanSC

Overtime!

Start working overtime. You very likely will become a bowaholic like me. 60+ recurves and longbows in 7+ years. ::ke: :whip: :huh:

Bill

Alan in GA

Decide if you're going to shoot a glove or tabs.:bounce:

I expect we will be reading more threads by you in this forum.;)

BTW, did you shoot with James Buice at the Fishhawk?

A gentleman was there showing Gary an "ATA" [?] brand 3 piece long bow that Gary bought. He was out of cards but we talked for an hour.
Sorry,,forgot his name already. I think he is 57 or 58 yrs old,,and reps for several bow companys? Very knowlegeable guy and very friendly.

choctawlb

Once you been bitten by the bug, the addiction will only grow worse. :banginghe I tried to get away from traditional for a few years, hunted with a compound, cause I didn't have the time to shoot a traditional bow much.:rolleyes: After 3 years the craving was too much to bear, and now I'm addicted to self bows as well, oh and making self bows, and primative arrows, and knapping flint, and it just goes on, and on , and on. :love: Once you've been bitten by the traditional bug, the only cure is shooting and enjoying them.
Ken

Al33

Alan, you oughtta be a natural iffen you can shoot and hit with that flip in your avatar.

Alan in GA

..that flip,,,

Alan, you oughtta be a natural iffen you can shoot and hit with that flip in your avatar.

,,,was made about 1965 or so. I still have it. I forget,,,I think I cut the crotch out of a wild plum. Still works fine!
I got into trouble a few times with that flip!---
"Gee Dad,,I didn't think it'd shoot THAT far!"
Alan in GA

WildmanSC

,,,was made about 1965 or so. I still have it. I forget,,,I think I cut the crotch out of a wild plum. Still works fine!
I got into trouble a few times with that flip!---
"Gee Dad,,I didn't think it'd shoot THAT far!"
Alan in GA

Alan,

I bet your Dad didn't believe that anymore than we do! :biggrin3:

Bill

driveby

Hey Alan. The guy that runs Sipsey River Traditional Archery is John Sullins. He's a great guy. He doesn't build bows personally but deals with many of the bowyers. I've known him a while and he will treat you right and find what you are looking for. I can get you a phone number if you like.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
hey allan take the short drive to tannehill state park on june the 1,2 & 3rd t the howard hill southeast trad shoot, sipsey river will be there along with several others (bob lee, black widow, and howard hill archery)its a great shoot and a heck of alot of fun. its just south of birmingham off of I-459 at macalla ala.

john