Unbeknownst phenomena: bloodthirsty brain-eating chipmunk ?...

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
One of the grackles swarming my bird feeder met his untimely demise this morning and after a couple minutes on the ground, I noticed one of my nearly pet chipmunks lapping up the blood, repositioning the carcass for more and then even pulling and tugging some mouthfuls out for consumtion...
Who knew?

Screenshot_20210421-130530_Gallery.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Don't go to sleep in the yard. :bounce:

Most squirrels will eat meat every chance they get. Gray squirrels kill and eat lots of baby birds, and eat the eggs from the nests, too. I've seen squirrels eating roadkill. I guess chippers have a lot of the same tastes.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
That’s probably how one is missin a ear and one a tail.
What a sweet sight to see.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The brown-headed cowbirds are the ones here that need to get eaten by chipmunks.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
The brown-headed cowbirds are the ones here that need to get eaten by chipmunks.
I hate those. There on my naughty list. They are like The Australian cuckoo in that they lay their eggs in other birds nests and their young outgrow and out-eat the competition.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hate those. There on my naughty list. They are like The Australian cuckoo in that they lay their eggs in other birds nests and their young outgrow and out-eat the competition.
Yep. I hate them.

greg j

I don't believe there's any animal out there that won't eat meat when it gets a chance.
I've seen a cow on my uncles farm eat a chicken once and watched videos of deer eating the heads off baby birds.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't believe there's any animal out there that won't eat meat when it gets a chance.
I've seen a cow on my uncles farm eat a chicken once and watched videos of deer eating the heads off baby birds.
I read once about an incident at one of those "body farms" where they put human bodies out in the woods and stuff and study how they decompose and such to learn more about forensic pathology. They had pictures of a deer chewing on a human body and pulling out a rib bone and carrying it off chewing on it.

Theturtle

BANNED
I believe it’s reindeer that will eat baby puffins out of the nest they say it’s some lack of a mineral they need

Gary Mercer

I was ok until Y'all turned Rudolf in to a murdering carnivore.
Somebody is going to tell that is how he go a red nose.

Wifeshusband

1eye, your chipmunks are more resourceful, and, apparently, more aggressive than mine. Who would have thunk; but then, again, in a recent issue of Deer & Deer Hunting, they have a photograph of a deer eating a decomposed human. Seems they have this cadaver farm out west where donated dead bodies are placed before a trail cam to see how bodies decompose and what eats them. They snapped a photo of a doe munching on a human rib. I guess if they will eat sweet gum leaves they will eat anything.

Wifeshusband

Did it eat it? What I want to see (and I'll pay good money) is a deer kill a coyote and eat it. That's what we used to call, Turn About, Fair Play.

Latest posts