Unconventional Dye Method that works well...

Doug B.

A week to ten days ago, I plunked these into a pot of cold dye after pulling them. I forgot about em till today.

Pulled em out and look how nice!!!

View attachment 1127065

Gonna dip em in the Zep floor wax and ready to go again!
Those look really nice! I will try to get a picture of mine on here tomorrow. After you and I talked I left mine in cold for the rest of that day and put them back in for most of the next day. They look great! You have stumbled on something here.

2dye4

I think I’m GON try some ZEP just on the dog and underside of the pan. Y’all’s thoughts on this.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I think I’m GON try some ZEP just on the dog and underside of the pan. Y’all’s thoughts on this.

My thoughts are just dip the trap and be done...

Here's one that I showed Doug, fresh outta the ground...

IMG_20211226_134208864.jpg

Note how well the sun is reflecting off the trap. That's the Zep, and this trap was treated and put away back about late April after my first season.

Dries quick, and leaves no scent.

Doug B.

Try one or two first and see how it does. I always take wax off the dog with my knife. I do the same thing to the underside of the pan. Like I said, try one or two. If it works that would be great. I bet though that you will end up scraping it off.

2dye4

My thoughts are just dip the trap and be done...

Here's one that I showed Doug, fresh outta the ground...

View attachment 1127078

Note how well the sun is reflecting off the trap. That's the Zep, and this trap was treated and put away back about late April after my first season.

Dries quick, and leaves no scent.
It doesn’t make them sticky where dirt, mud, stick to them?

2dye4

Try one or two first and see how it does. I always take wax off the dog with my knife. I do the same thing to the underside of the pan. Like I said, try one or two. If it works that would be great. I bet though that you will end up scraping it off.
Will try that.

buckpasser

I pour the Zep into a small bucket, dip traps, set em aside, and pour the Zep back into the jug to use again.

Way too easy...

I may do this new dozen I just got in. Do you cut it with mineral spirits or anything, or just dip it straight.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I've already decided that my next new traps are gonna get rusted with vinegar, cold dyed for several days, and then treated with Zep.

Now, if the trap has any dirt on it when you dip it in Zep, the dirt becomes part of the trap... ?

cj580guitar

For those of you that are gonna use FMJ or Zeps don’t forget to take the pan bolt and nut out before dipping. After you dip them and it dries it’s really hard to tighten or loosen your bolt for pan tension issues. Just some helpful advice.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
For those of you that are gonna use FMJ or Zeps don’t forget to take the pan bolt and nut out before dipping. After you dip them and it dries it’s really hard to tighten or loosen your bolt for pan tension issues. Just some helpful advice.

No bolts on my MB550S, but this would be very good advice if your traps have bolts!

The stuff don't play!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I just think mine clean up so much easier with the etching primer only, that’s why I really don’t want to put the ZEP on the whole trap.

I got no clue what might happen to a painted trap with Zeps...

I THINK what would happen would be a slicker, AND tougher coating.

We keep on talking about this, and we Gon wind up revolutionizing trappin'... ?

Doug B.

I just think mine clean up so much easier with the etching primer only, that’s why I really don’t want to put the ZEP on the whole trap.
I don't really know what etching primer is, but if it works for you then you need to keep doing it.

I'm not a fan of any spray on method just because I feel like it can't get all the way in the springs and therefore is not complete protection. I would rather have some kind of dip where it will get in every nook and cranny.

I'm definitely not knocking any body else's method. Like I said, if it works for you then I am happy right there with you. I'm just stating my thoughts. YMMV