Unconventional Dye Method that works well...

Quite the contrary, actually. That stuff dries HARD, and stays put.

If you ever had to strip a floor (military) you'll know what I mean. ?

Military? We used johnston paste wax. Coat hanger wire handle light it up to melt it pop the lid on to extinguish immediately sprinkle it out and have a guy on the buffer to spread it out. Let dry to haze then buff with a fuzzy toilet seat cover to mirror gloss.
Boots come off at the door sock feet only no ones walks down the middle.

Doug B.

I do dip my water traps in Rustoleum/Acetone mixture with no kind of wax with great results.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Military? We used johnston paste wax. Coat hanger wire handle light it up to melt it pop the lid on to extinguish immediately sprinkle it out and have a guy on the buffer to spread it out. Let dry to haze then buff with a fuzzy toilet seat cover to mirror gloss.
Boots come off at the door sock feet only no ones walks down the middle.

That's Old School!

2dye4

I don't really know what etching primer is, but if it works for you then you need to keep doing it.

I'm not a fan of any spray on method just because I feel like it can't get all the way in the springs and therefore is not complete protection. I would rather have some kind of dip where it will get in every nook and cranny.

I'm definitely not knocking any body else's method. Like I said, if it works for you then I am happy right there with you. I'm just stating my thoughts. YMMV
I’ve got traps that are going on 2 years old with no sign of deterioration of any sort. The first dozen I tried 3 different methods and my conclusion came to that the traps with the primer held up much better. The dyed and waxed ones had to be boiled, dyed and waxed the next season. On the ones I primed I just put them in the ground.

Doug B.

I've already decided that my next new traps are gonna get rusted with vinegar, cold dyed for several days, and then treated with Zep.

Now, if the trap has any dirt on it when you dip it in Zep, the dirt becomes part of the trap... ?
That is going to be my new method starting next year!

Doug B.

I’ve got traps that are going on 2 years old with no sign of deterioration of any sort. The first dozen I tried 3 different methods and my conclusion came to that the traps with the primer held up much better. The dyed and waxed ones had to be boiled, dyed and waxed the next season. On the ones I primed I just put them in the ground.
There is no way to improve on that! I feel like Railroader is right. The next generation of trap preparation is going to come from right here on GON. Way to go fellers!!!!!

I love this place!

2dye4

There is no way to improve on that! I feel like Railroader is right. The next generation of trap preparation is going to come from right here on GON. Way to go fellers!!!!!

I love this place!
I wouldn’t call me a next generation trapper because me and my grandad trapped a long time ago and he did it like I restarted doing it and I just came up with my ideas of how to make it easier and it has seemed to work well for me. I don’t knock anyones preparations, it’s each his own and what works for them. I’ve said before, if you ask 10 trappers their ideas of their methods, you’d get 9 different ways on how to prepare your gear.
I love this forum as well!

Doug B.

I wouldn’t call me a next generation trapper because me and my grandad trapped a long time ago and he did it like I restarted doing it and I just came up with my ideas of how to make it easier and it has seemed to work well for me. I don’t knock anyones preparations, it’s each his own and what works for them. I’ve said before, if you ask 10 trappers their ideas of their methods, you’d get 9 different ways on how to prepare your gear.
I love this forum as well!
I agree. Not a next generation trapper. But the old timers that I followed growing up would have never waxed their traps with floor wax. They would never have went for leaving traps in cold dye either, or even spray painting traps. It's funny how things evolve!

2dye4

I agree. Not a next generation trapper. But the old timers that I followed growing up would have never waxed their traps with floor wax. They would never have went for leaving traps in cold dye either, or even spray painting traps. It's funny how things evolve!
Yes, you are correct. I just look for out of the ordinary things to help out me in my situations and they seem to work for me. The old saying, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it goes works well for me and that is what I do what I do. If others want to try, that’s great but don’t be afraid to try something different.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I'm an old guy, taking up a new sport in trapping. I'm finding my way, but most of that way would probably make the old timers cringe. I like logwood dye, but I am using floor wax. I ain't got no longspring traps.

I'm using commercial lures and scents. I ain't making any myself.

I ain't using no rebar stakes and rings as long as wolf fang cables are a buck each.

And on and on...

Now if my grandson The Kid decides to learn to trap, he's gonna learn it from me, by doing it with me.

And he'll tell folks he does it that way because his Papa did it, and it works.

I suppose that makes a "new generation"...

God willing.

sleepr71

I have about a Dozen to dye & wax. I’m interested in using the Zeps..but curious as to how long they “stink” afterward? Floor wax is VERY pungent going on & we are trying to outsmart probably the smartest critter in the woods..Mr Wile E Coyote ?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
And I want to go just a step further to appreciate the GON Trappin' Forum.

I got my start right here, and found my success right here. I also enjoyed reading The Trapper's Bible, suggested here, by somebody...

I looked around on some other forums, and decided not to partake, for various reasons. Mostly because I figured this one would get it done.

I was right.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I have about a Dozen to dye & wax. I’m interested in using the Zeps..but curious as to how long they “stink” afterward? Floor wax is VERY pungent going on & we are trying to outsmart probably the smartest critter in the woods..Mr Wile E Coyote ?

If it has any scent after day or two, I can't smell it.

And if any of the coyotes I've caught could smell it, it didn't offend them... ?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Those look great!

I'm real curious to see how some brand new ones turn out, when degreased, vinegar rusted, dyed and waxed.

All of my traps were degreased and planted raw in the beginning, to get some initial rust, so they aren't very "even".

2dye4

I'm real curious to see how some brand new ones turn out, when degreased, vinegar rusted, dyed and waxed.

All of my traps were degreased and planted raw in the beginning, to get some initial rust, so they aren't very "even".
Which ZEP wax do you buy?