Unconventional Dye Method that works well...

sleepr71

I think it’s Zeps “High Traffic Floor Polish”. I got busy today & didn’t get a chance to do mine. Maybe Saturday!

2dye4

So, after listening to RR and Doug, I dipped one of the painted self etching primer traps into ZEP and looks like it turned out better than I expected. Y’all might be onto something here. Now will see how it performs.
Thanks for the new methods of preparation!

Attachments

• 06F709D7-3E9C-43D2-8BA1-460A02F4D47E.jpeg
    06F709D7-3E9C-43D2-8BA1-460A02F4D47E.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 1FBA7BFC-06A1-4C82-A811-27A77F8687AD.jpeg
    1FBA7BFC-06A1-4C82-A811-27A77F8687AD.jpeg
    370.7 KB · Views: 10
So, after listening to RR and Doug, I dipped one of the painted self etching primer traps into ZEP and looks like it turned out better than I expected. Y’all might be onto something here. Now will see how it performs.

What primer are you using? I'm definitely going in the direction of rustoleum but I wonder how the rusty metal primer would hold on new metal.
Was thinking klean strip concrete & metal prep to etch then rusty metal primer but if you got a better one step option I'm all ears.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.

That thing looks too good to bury!!!... ?

I bet between the paint and the wax, it'll just rinse right off when you pull it next time.

2dye4

I get the self etching pr
What primer are you using? I'm definitely going in the direction of rustoleum but I wonder how the rusty metal primer would hold on new metal.
Was thinking klean strip concrete & metal prep to etch then rusty metal primer but if you got a better one step option I'm all ears.
This is what I use and can be bought at Lowes or Tractor Supply and I’ve never had any problems as long as you thoroughly clean the metal, let dry and paint.

Attachments

• C14BBB61-C9CB-4CCC-8D8A-1CFAB9205E1B.jpeg
    C14BBB61-C9CB-4CCC-8D8A-1CFAB9205E1B.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 6

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I get the self etching pr

This is what I use and can be bought at Lowes or Tractor Supply and I’ve never had any problems as long as you thoroughly clean the metal, let dry and paint.

I bleeve I just changed my mind about how I will prep my next new traps...@Mark Henson, be sure to report your primer/zep results!

Last edited:

2dye4

I bleeve I just changed my mind about how I will prep my next new traps...@ Mark Henson, be sure to report your primer/zep results!
Will do, because I’ve tried conventional way and thought about the primer and now the 3rd way with primer and ZEP seems to be promising. Doug had a point about the primer not being able to get into every nook and cranny. This is where I think the wax will SHINE. No pun intended!?

Doug B.

That looks awesome!!! That would have to hold up better than the traditional dye and wax! I am going to transition over to that. It will be next year before I get completely changed over. I will probably dip mine in a 60/40 acetone Rustoleum mix just because I feel that dipping covers more than a spray can. But whatever works for you.

Doug B.

Will do, because I’ve tried conventional way and thought about the primer and now the 3rd way with primer and ZEP seems to be promising. Doug had a point about the primer not being able to get into every nook and cranny. This is where I think the wax will SHINE. No pun intended!?
You posted right before I did. :bounce:
Dipping in the Zep's would protect everything. I like that idea!

2dye4

That looks awesome!!! That would have to hold up better than the traditional dye and wax! I am going to transition over to that. It will be next year before I get completely changed over. I will probably dip mine in a 60/40 acetone Rustoleum mix just because I feel that dipping covers more than a spray can. But whatever works for you.
You are correct about the coverage, but I just thought about this method after going through all the hassles of conventional ways of preparation. That is where I think the wax will compliment my way. If it works and anyone wants to try, I say I don’t think you could go wrong.

Doug B.

You are correct about the coverage, but I just thought about this method after going through all the hassles of conventional ways of preparation. That is where I think the wax will compliment my way. If it works and anyone wants to try, I say I don’t think you could go wrong.
It looks great! I'm anxious to see your report on how it holds up. I'm sure it will do better than the conventional method.

sportsman94

I’m super interested in this! I’ll be honest, I’m setting almost all dirty traps this season because I didn’t want to do the long process of dyeing and waxing. I do have enough I would think it would be cheaper to dip instead of spray. What kind of rustoleum are y’all using?