Unexpected Find

snooker1

My father in law passed away seven weeks ago and my mother in law passed away two weeks ago so this past weekend my wife and I started the task of going through their stuff. We packed up all the clothes so they could be donated to Am Vets. While going through the clothes we found a envelope that had Confederate money in it. In the closet was a one gallon bag filled with Indian head pennies and Buffalo nickels, hundreds of them. My wife said she remembers many years ago seeing the Confederate money but she had forgotten all about it.

Attachments

• 20220927_201733.jpg
    20220927_201733.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 135

tjchurch

Cool find.

ucfireman

Good find.
Be careful donating clothes and shoes. My dad hides money everywhere and every so often will put on something he hasn't worn in a while and "finds" it.
Shoes, suit pockets, Socks everywhere.

My father in law passed away seven weeks ago and my mother in law passed away two weeks ago so this past weekend my wife and I started the task of going through their stuff. We packed up all the clothes so they could be donated to Am Vets. While going through the clothes we found a envelope that had Confederate money in it. In the closet was a one gallon bag filled with Indian head pennies and Buffalo nickels, hundreds of them. My wife said she remembers many years ago seeing the Confederate money but she had forgotten all about it.

snooker1

Good find.
Be careful donating clothes and shoes. My dad hides money everywhere and every so often will put on something he hasn't worn in a while and "finds" it.
Shoes, suit pockets, Socks everywhere.

We checked everything twice. We found the hearing aids he lost in a pair of pants and the house keys he lost in his boots.

basstrkr

Sorry to hear of so much loss so quickly. My Mom passed at 94 and we found so many wonderful "hidden" things. Taped to the bottom of drawers, on the back of wall hung pictures, under the chest-of drawers.

snooker1

Sorry to hear of so much loss so quickly. My Mom passed at 94 and we found so many wonderful "hidden" things. Taped to the bottom of drawers, on the back of wall hung pictures, under the chest-of drawers.

The old photos are pretty awesome. Tells a story from a different generation. From the clothes to the background.

basstrkr

Yes old folks would often tape names and locales on the back.
We also found a Benjamin taped on the underside of a drawer.

Deerhead

After my MIL passed away. It was like a treasure hunt. We found money everywhere! Gave it to my SIL who needed it more than us. It is a fun way to remember my MIL.

krizia829

So sorry for your loss.. Such a cool find! As much as those things may be worth, I would not sell it if I were you guys. Hope you can continue to find more treasures! I can only imagine the stories they can tell!