Unicoi 2023

Dupree

Tell us about the yelpers Dupree
Left to right.
Irving Whitt, Dickie Champion, Jamey Rex, and Larry Stevens. I only bought yelpers from people I didn’t already own. TBH my favorite sounding of the bunch so far is the Champion, and it was also the cheapest. ($80) I ran a handful of other people’s also but didn’t buy them.

Edit*** after running them all some more this morning that REX is pretty sweet.
3B161F02-44E3-4C16-826D-745ED2C97D46.jpeg

Last edited:

Whit90

I went (for the first time), I saw, and I still have my 100 dollar bill in my wallet. I saw a ton of pretty looking and pretty sounding calls, but I guess handmade calls aren’t my cup of tea. I can definitely appreciate the craftsmanship though! I’ve been wanting to check out the show for a couple of years now, so I am glad I finally got to go.

Buckman18

Left to right.
Irving Whitt, Dickie Champion, Jamey Rex, and Larry Stevens. I only bought yelpers from people I didn’t already own. TBH my favorite sounding of the bunch so far is the Champion, and it was also the cheapest. ($80) I ran a handful of other people’s also but didn’t buy them.

Edit*** after running them all some more this morning that REX is pretty sweet.
View attachment 1203122

I also have one of Dickie’s horns, and it is glorious.

north_ga fireman

I went today after a 20+year absence and bought to calls one slate and the other was a ceramic both have very good tone and both seller’s matched me with strikers that has good tone. On the other hand I wished I had pulled the trigger on on a trumpet (Rex) was the seller was just personable and sincere about his products

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Swung by the show for a little while this morning. Got to see a few folks. Hung out with AJ Hiner for a bit and rub those back to back Natty's in a bit lol, helped Duncan Dobie sell a few books, got to gawk at Dave Circincione's ivory trumpet collection, cut up with fellow Mossy Creek boy Kevin Dorsey and his wonderful family. I did manage to spend a little money with Tim Sandford and got a few mouth calls. Talked a little bit with "Mr. Black Lightning" Stanley Wymbs. Then the highlight was getting to see Mr. Herb Mclure. I grew up looking up to him and am lucky enough to call him a friend. Good to see you Herb, good to hear you and Mrs. Mary are doing well. All in all the show didn't disappoint as always. It's a tradition and when it rolls around you know it's not too long till it's time to hear that distant gobble again.....herb2023unicoi.jpg

Attachments

• herb2023unicoi.jpg
    herb2023unicoi.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 11

doeverything4him316

Went by for the first time and years with my wife and kid today and was a little overwhelmed by all the quality calls. I bought a hen wingbone from AJ Hiner but wish I would have also bought a box call and yelper from Tony Quarino and a trumpet from Mr. Dorsey... Good to see Wendell Lancaster and the Osmer boys again too...I also picked up Michael Simpson's book... excited to dive in....Im bringing more money next time lol

Last edited:

herb mcclure

Swung by the show for a little while this morning. Got to see a few folks. Hung out with AJ Hiner for a bit and rub those back to back Natty in a bit lol, helped Duncan Dobie sell a few books, got to gawk at Dave Circincione's ivory trumpet collection, cut up with fellow Mossy Creek boy Kevin Dorsey and his wonderful family. I did manage to spend a little money with Tim Sandford and got a few mouth calls. Then the highlight was getting to see Mr. Herb Mclure. I grew up looking up to him and am lucky enough to call him a friend. Good to see you Herb, good to hear you and Mrs. Mary are doing well. All in all the show didn't disappoint as always. It's a tradition and when it rolls around you know it's not too long till it's time to hear that distant gobble again.....View attachment 1203263
Swung by the show for a little while this morning. Got to see a few folks. Hung out with AJ Hiner for a bit and rub those back to back Natty in a bit lol, helped Duncan Dobie sell a few books, got to gawk at Dave Circincione's ivory trumpet collection, cut up with fellow Mossy Creek boy Kevin Dorsey and his wonderful family. I did manage to spend a little money with Tim Sandford and got a few mouth calls. Then the highlight was getting to see Mr. Herb Mclure. I grew up looking up to him and am lucky enough to call him a friend. Good to see you Herb, good to hear you and Mrs. Mary are doing well. All in all the show didn't disappoint as always. It's a tradition and when it rolls around you know it's not too long till it's time to hear that distant gobble again.....View attachment 1203263
Unicoidawg.
You sure made an old turkey hunter feel mighty humble, but very honored. You certainly are, and have been a great friend of mine.
I would like to say to all of my other Unicoi Call Maker's friends, and all other fellow turkey hunting enthusiasts who were there. It was a pleasure to be among-st so many participating today in this great sport, which I have enjoyed for so long.

Gut_Pile

Great show. Glad I got to see some familiar faces Thursday evening and Friday morning

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
A great show and honored to meet Mr Herb. The calls were great especially if there’s something you just can’t live without. But sharing time with fellow turkey hunters and rekindling old friendships or even making new friendships is what lasting memories are made of.

Ugahunter2013

I read on a past topic from the Unicoi show there was a "round table discussion" on call making. For anyone that went to the 23 Unicoi show, did they have this?

cowhornedspike

I read on a past topic from the Unicoi show there was a "round table discussion" on call making. For anyone that went to the 23 Unicoi show, did they have this?
Yes they held it and it was about box call making this year. They try to do it on a different topic each year.