Unusual Lower Jaw (Deer)

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
This ol boy probably had a hard time grazing with the short lower jaw? -- May be crossed with an Ant Eater.:)

Looks to be about 4 inches shorter which would cause misalignment with the upper pad.

P1010696.jpg

Woody

Kinda resembles my Cousin in Alabama.:D

P1010693.jpg

Sixes

This ol boy probably had a hard time grazing with the short lower jaw? -- May be crossed with an Ant Eater.:)

Looks to be about 4 inches shorter which would cause misalignment with the upper pad.

P1010696.jpg

Interesting!

Did he show any piebald coloration or traits?

Woody

Interesting!

Did he show any piebald coloration or traits?

No --- everything else appeared normal.

You're right about this problem sometimes being associated with piebalds.

Along with deformities of the feet.

BOWHUNTER!

I shot a nine pointer a few years back that had the same thing going on. Really weird. The taxidermist fixed it right up though, I don't know how but he did. I was worried that there wasn't enough lower jaw skin to work with.:huh:

j_seph

Hmm

Bet he had a hard time eating corn on the cob:p
Much less picking it up off the ground

Woody you go a jaw stretcher:biggrin2:

Sixes

No --- everything else appeared normal.

You're right about this problem sometimes being associated with piebalds.

Along with deformities of the feet.

We see the characteristics on some of the deer on our lease, a biologist said the overbite/lower jaw was a definite sign along with smaller body, shorter legs and short torso. We had pics of a piebald buck, the last two years that is app. 4-5 years old and looks like a "minature" deer.

BOWHUNTER!

We see the characteristics on some of the deer on our lease, a biologist said the overbite/lower jaw was a definite sign along with smaller body, shorter legs and short torso. We had pics of a piebald buck, the last two years that is app. 4-5 years old and looks like a "minature" deer.

Now that you mentioned some of those traits, the deer I was talking about had shorter legs than usual too??? He had no signs of piebald though.

Public Land Prowler

I shot an 8pt with my bow on Griffin Ridge a few years back,and his lower jaw was just like that bucks!He had buckshot in his face.Apparently he had been shot when he was a yearling and it stunted the growth of the lower jaw.This buck was very healthy.150# which is pretty good in our area.I'm guessing he was 3.5yrs old.

BOWHUNTER!...My taxidermist said he could mold the form to fit...He was doing a piebald for a guy that had a bulge on the bridge of it's nose,and I told him about this 8pt.I told him I didn't think he could mount it b/c of the short jaw,but he said he could.

Here's the pic.His lower jaw stops just before the black of his nose starts.Sorry about the tounge hanging out...

griffinbowbuck.jpg

carabrook

Gone But Not Forgotten
had a doe on our place like that this year, when she ate she got down on her front knees to graze

Sixes

Now that you mentioned some of those traits, the deer I was talking about had shorter legs than usual too??? He had no signs of piebald though.

That is a characteristic of the piebald trait, he doesn`t have to have extra white to be piebald.

Here is the only pic I have at work with the piebald from this year with another buck. You can see the short legs and short torso, I have another pic from the front view where he looks "minature", I`ll post it when I get home from work. The buck looks like a typical 1.5/2.5, but hes probably 4.5 or older.

Attachments

• piebald2re.JPG
    piebald2re.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 760

Snakeman

he doesn`t have to have extra white to be piebald.
Can you explain this? The definition of piebald is having varigated markings (as in brown/black and white).

The Snakeman

BOWHUNTER!

Yep, that's the way he looked. Stubby. I always thought that a piebald was like the one in your picture. I wish I had a scanner to show you this buck. Identical body structure as yours.

Sixes

Can you explain this? The definition of piebald is having varigated markings (as in brown/black and white).

The Snakeman

I`m just going by how a biologist explained it to us. He said the piebald characteristic can be in the genes w/o the coloration showing and the characteristics were overbite, short body (minature look), short legs, etc. I always thought piebald was exactly how you are saying (white coloration) and he explained the genetics can be in the deer without the extra coloration, and thats why you can have two "brown" deer breed and produce the white coloration.

Sixes

I actually saw and shot (just grazed the brisket ) of this buck back in early Dec. The shot was fairly long (170 yards) and when the deer stepped out, my immediate thought(other than "piebald") was that it was a fawn or young deer.

Snakeman

I`m just going by how a biologist explained it to us. He said the piebald characteristic can be in the genes w/o the coloration showing and the characteristics were overbite, short body (minature look), short legs, etc. I always thought piebald was exactly how you are saying (white coloration) and he explained the genetics can be in the deer without the extra coloration, and thats why you can have two "brown" deer breed and produce the white coloration.
I understand what you're saying, but the term "piebald" has to do with coloration. Other genetically caused deformities are just that.......genetic deformities. There are deer that have piebald coloration, and all other physical features are "normal". The coloration and physical features are not mutually inclusive.

The Snakeman