UPDATE - New Gun Carry Bill - HB 875

HuntinDawg89

Try this one:http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2014/03/08/its-deja-vu-all-over-again-on-campus-carry/

It looks the same as the other link but this one works(at least it did the last time I tried it).

His argument (one others are echoing) is LAME:

“I’m very concerned personally about any provision that requires houses of worship to opt out. I think that is bad public policy,” Staton said. “I can’t imagine why Republicans would want to require every house of worship to hold some kind of meeting — to essentially have a church conference where people have to vote.”

This line of reasoning doesn't hold water because it DOESN'T require churches to opt out. What it DOES do is give them an option, something they do not have now, which is an unreasonable restriction on their private property rights. I am the treasurer of my church and I seriously doubt there would be any debate at my church. Most likely there would be no meeting, there would be nothing brought up at any church business meeting and there would be no vote. The only thing that would happen is the unreasonable restriction would be lifted by law and we would all be safer.

I think the same would be true of the extremely liberal churches, there would be no debate. Depending on the bylaws of the church, the pastor, church leadership or possibly the church body would vote and they would agree to put up signs declaring themselves lambs to the slaughter and they would all feel very good about it until someone is robbed, raped or murdered on their church grounds by some criminal who probably couldn't even read their precious sign.

What IS true about our current situation is that churches are denied a right that every other private property owner has and that is the right to determine whether firearms are allowed on their private property or not. This is unreasonable and unfairly denies all employees, volunteers, members and visitors of their constitutional rights to bear arms and to self defense.

AM1

His argument (one others are echoing) is LAME:

“I’m very concerned personally about any provision that requires houses of worship to opt out. I think that is bad public policy,” Staton said. “I can’t imagine why Republicans would want to require every house of worship to hold some kind of meeting — to essentially have a church conference where people have to vote.”

This line of reasoning doesn't hold water because it DOESN'T require churches to opt out. What it DOES do is give them an option, something they do not have now, which is an unreasonable restriction on their private property rights. I am the treasurer of my church and I seriously doubt there would be any debate at my church. Most likely there would be no meeting, there would be nothing brought up at any church business meeting and there would be no vote. The only thing that would happen is the unreasonable restriction would be lifted by law and we would all be safer.

I think the same would be true of the extremely liberal churches, there would be no debate. Depending on the bylaws of the church, the pastor, church leadership or possibly the church body would vote and they would agree to put up signs declaring themselves lambs to the slaughter and they would all feel very good about it until someone is robbed, raped or murdered on their church grounds by some criminal who probably couldn't even read their precious sign.

What IS true about our current situation is that churches are denied a right that every other private property owner has and that is the right to determine whether firearms are allowed on their private property or not. This is unreasonable and unfairly denies all employees, volunteers, members and visitors of their constitutional rights to bear arms and to self defense.

Agreed. And who appointed Sen. Staton 'church nanny' anyway? My church unanimously elected me as their spokesman on this issue and we strongly disagree with his narrative. I will be at the hearing, we will be heard from.

HuntinDawg89

Agreed. And who appointed Sen. Staton 'church nanny' anyway? My church unanimously elected me as their spokesman on this issue and we strongly disagree with his narrative. I will be at the hearing, we will be heard from.

I wish I could go, but I can't.

The one aspect that I don't hear anyone talking about is that this even affects us when there is no service going on. When our female custodian is there all alone, she cannot have a weapon. Our church doesn't have one, but for those churches who have a secretary/bookkeeper who is frequently alone in the church, she is denied her rights to defend herself with a firearm from whoever may show up at the church. When a pastor is there late at night studying or preparing for the upcoming service he is denied his right to bear arms. When I and possibly the assistant treasurer are there working at night or leaving with the week's deposit we are denied our rights. You can go on and on with stuff like that. A women's bible study group meeting at the church after hours, etc. People at our church have showed up at unexpected and awkward times and made people feel very uncomfortable and vulnerable. Sometimes people show up expecting whoever just happens to be present at the church to be able to give them financial assistance and can get pretty testy when they don't get the money they are asking for. We've had people get angry because all we had to give them was food from our food pantry. We've also had an attempted break-in, but nobody was there at the time.

I understand why the first reaction to the idea of people carrying in church makes some people feel uncomfortable, but it doesn't just affect people attending the service. It affects everyone who works or volunteers there as well and at all times when they are present.

We have also dealt with threats to "disrupt" our service in the past. Nobody was sure what they meant by "disrupt" and nothing happened, but it sure would have been nice if a few of the concealed carry permit holders could have been advised of the situation and posted (inconspicuously) at various points.

dick7.62

I wish I could go, but I can't.

The one aspect that I don't hear anyone talking about is that this even affects us when there is no service going on. When our female custodian is there all alone, she cannot have a weapon. Our church doesn't have one, but for those churches who have a secretary/bookkeeper who is frequently alone in the church, she is denied her rights to defend herself with a firearm from whoever may show up at the church. When a pastor is there late at night studying or preparing for the upcoming service he is denied his right to bear arms. When I and possibly the assistant treasurer are there working at night or leaving with the week's deposit we are denied our rights. You can go on and on with stuff like that. A women's bible study group meeting at the church after hours, etc. People at our church have showed up at unexpected and awkward times and made people feel very uncomfortable and vulnerable. Sometimes people show up expecting whoever just happens to be present at the church to be able to give them financial assistance and can get pretty testy when they don't get the money they are asking for. We've had people get angry because all we had to give them was food from our food pantry. We've also had an attempted break-in, but nobody was there at the time.

I understand why the first reaction to the idea of people carrying in church makes some people feel uncomfortable, but it doesn't just affect people attending the service. It affects everyone who works or volunteers there as well and at all times when they are present.

We have also dealt with threats to "disrupt" our service in the past. Nobody was sure what they meant by "disrupt" and nothing happened, but it sure would have been nice if a few of the concealed carry permit holders could have been advised of the situation and posted (inconspicuously) at various points.

All this above is familiar because my wife is custodian at a church. They have a female secretary and either one may be there alone some of the time. They have some rough looking people showing up looking for a handout. Several times my mentally handicapped neighbor has shown up for various reasons. He looks like a wild man from the swamps and the women, even my wife who knows him, are afraid of him. Once my wife was working there alone at night and someone was hitting the wall outside. She hated to call the law in fear of it being a false alarm so she called me. By the time I got there no one was around but if she could have had a gun she wouldn't have been worried. I volunteer there but I am old and wore out so there might not be much I could do in a "situation" unless I had a gun. This church is way out in the country so law enforcement would need at least 10 minutes to get there. So yes, we need this law.

Most of the text of HB 875 was added to HB 60 today which has already passed both places. This was done today while the senate was working on gutting 875. This forces the senate to bring the new (875) text to a vote bypassing the committee. Still may not get passed but we will get to see how they vote. An even if it does not get passed on that vote it is still not dead.

jglenn

I believe our Governor has a large part in this...

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
I believe our Governor has a large part in this...

You are not alone, I believe he and his mini me are the ones pulling the strings to have these bills gutted by the senate committee or by having Cagle, in true Harry Reid fashion, not bring them to the floor for a vote.

JWarren

You are not alone, I believe he and his mini me are the ones pulling the strings to have these bills gutted by the senate committee or by having Cagle, in true Harry Reid fashion, not bring them to the floor for a vote.

This ain't rocket science...it is POLITICS.

This thing will die or move forward gutted.

We have about all of the gun friendly laws that we will ever have (and we have a lot), right now. The "powers that be" have enough clout to deny us carte blanche.

Khondker

The focus is HB 60 now.

The only language change is the removal of the $100 fine for carrying on campus.

The rest of the bill is basically intact as HB 875 passed the House originally with some clerical changes that needed to be made.

The Senate has two choice at this point, agree or disagree.

If the Senate agrees, the bill will be passed and transmitted to the governor for his action.

If the Senate disagrees, a conference committee will be appointed, (3 members of the House appointed by the Speaker and 3 members of the Senate appointed by the Lt. Governor). The conference committee will meet and try to reach an agreement on the bill language. If and when such language is agreed to by a majority of conference committee members, the bill will then be sent to each chamber for a vote. If both chambers vote to pass the bill, it will be sent to the governor for his action.

tom ga hunter

from the ABH

ATLANTA | Republican lawmakers abandoned a push Tuesday to decriminalize carrying a gun on Georgia’s college campuses as they try to rally support for legislation that would allow firearms in churches, bars and arm school teachers.

State Rep. Alan Powell, R-Hartwell, made the concession over college campuses as a political compromise and a tactic to pressure the Senate into taking up the gun legislation.

The initial proposal approved by House lawmakers is now being considered by the Senate. It would have made carrying a gun on campus a civil violation punishable by a maximum $100 fine rather than a crime. University and college officials in Georgia have strongly opposed weakening prohibitions on weapons, including a failed plan last year that would have let students with a state-issued license to carry to bring their weapons onto campus.

Powell said trying to overcome opposition from the University System of Georgia would have been difficult.

“They are a fourth branch of government,” he said. “They carry an enormous amount of influence.”

After last year’s fight, university officials have avoided publicly criticizing the plan.

However, records obtained by The Associated Press under Georgia’s open records law show that university system officials still have some concerns.

“While there isn’t a blanket campus-carry provision, there are a few provisions that will likely need monitoring at best and action on our part at worst,” said Daryl Griswold, the university system’s assistant vice chancellor for legal affairs, in a Jan. 29 email.

The changes reflect delicate gun politics for Republican lawmakers in Georgia. GOP politicians in the House have been more hawkish about expanding the places where people can legally carry guns, though their GOP colleagues in the state Senate have historically been more cautious.

Republicans in the Senate have a strong incentive to avoid voting against firearms legislation since it alienates gun-rights supporters in the GOP.

Instead of voting against gun bills, Republican senators have typically rewritten more sweeping firearms legislation from the House so it would ultimately make few or no major changes.

But Powell’s move increases the pressure on the Senate. He put much of his original plan into a different bill already approved by his Senate colleagues. He’s trying to force an up-or-down vote on the gun bill, making it tougher for his opponents in the Senate to rewrite it in committee.

“There’s no running and no hiding anymore,” Powell said.

Other aspects of the bill expand where people can have their weapons, overturning blanket prohibitions on carrying them into churches and bars. School districts would be allowed to arm their employees, which supporters say would help deter attacks on teachers and students.

Others believe arming teachers and administrators increases the chances for gun violence in schools.

“Our public schools should be safe sanctuaries, not armed fortresses,” the Georgia Federation of Teachers noted in a news releases issued Tuesday. “Arming educators and bringing more guns into our schools will make schools less safe. It is irresponsible and dangerous and is not a serious solution to the devastatingly serious problem of gun violence in America.”

660griz

It is really disturbing that we have a bunch of folks sitting around discussing where I can defend myself. We all know laws only affect law abiding citizens anyway. Just unbelievable.

HuntinDawg89

Maybe I'm not following this correctly, but it sounds like the good guys in the House made a really good move and now the Senate is forced to vote. That means if Republican Senators want to wimp out on our 2nd Amendment rights they will be forced to vote it down (and thereby have a record to deal with) instead of killing it quietly/mysteriously in committee by "unfortunately" passing it without enough time to get it resolved with the house version and "oops" letting it die. That is a huge difference. Hopefully the fear of facing their constituents will make up for their lack of a backbone and we'll get this thing through the Senate despite useless jackwagons like Stone and Staton.

Khondker

The Senate Judiciary Non-Civil Committee passed their own version of HB 875 today. I do not know the detail but all I know they made it worse.

As I said before, long uphill battle ahead, also time running out, sine die coming soon.

Please contact your local Senator to pass HB 60 as is.

Thanks