UPDATE - New Gun Carry Bill - HB 875

Khondker

HB 875 - Safe Carry Protection Act

What is in House Bill 875

Churches / Bars

Removes churches and bars from the off limits list and treats them like every other piece of private property in GA in that the property owner has the right to eject a person from their property.

Government Buildings

Allows firearms in government buildings that are not restricted or screened by security personnel during the hours the building is open for business.

Public Housing

Require public housing to allow tenants to have firearms in their dwellings unless required by federal law or regulation.

Changes to school safety zones:

Licensed holder who is carrying on elementary school shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
Any licensed holder who violates post secondary school safety zone shall not be arrested but shall be fined not more than $100.00.
For a person who is not a license holder the penalty is not more than $10,000.00 and imprisonment for not less than 2 nor more than 10 years or both.
A duly authorized official of a school can authorize a person to carry a weapon in a school safety zone, at school function or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school
Allows local school system to allow teachers and administrators to carry in school safety zones and determine what training the school will require. Those selected to carry will remain unknown to the public.

Licensing:

Removes fingerprint requirement for license renewals
Provides for issuance of GWL to a person who is at least 18 years of age who has completed basic training in the armed forces and is either actively serving in the military or has been honorably discharged from the service.
Allows a person who has had his/her GWL revoked to be issued a GWL if the revocation was more than 3 years of the date of his or her application.
Restricts any person who has been adjudicated mentally incompetent to stand trial or who has been adjudicated not guilty by reason of insanity at the time of the crime
Allows GWL applicant the right to sue if they feel they are wrongfully denied a GWL and to recover their costs and reasonable attorney fees if they are the prevailing party.
Prohibits any person or entity from creating or maintaining a multijurisdictional data base of information regarding persons issued GWLs.

Airport Carry:

Codifies airport carry in non sterile areas. If a person knowingly enters airport screening with a weapon will be guilty of a misdemeanor unless it is with intent to commit a separate felony offense.

GWL When Carrying

Requires carrying of GWL when carrying a weapon or for exempt persons, proof they are exempt.
A person carrying a weapon shall not be subject to detention for the sole purpose of investigating whether such person has a weapons carry license.
If a person is caught carrying a weapon without a GWL the fine in court will be $10 if GWL is produced and was valid at the time of the arrest.
Defense of self or others, shall be an absolute defense to any violation of off limits places.

State Preemption:

Preemption law more clearly defined in our favor. Includes firearms and other weapons. Clarifies that no agency, board, department, commission, or authority of this state other than the General Assembly, by rule or regulation shall regulate firearms or other weapons in any manner. Municipalities may still regulate whether or not you may discharge a weapon within their boundaries.
Gives the right of any person who has been aggrieved as a result of a violation of 16-11-173 may bring action to enforce this statute shall be entitled to equitable relief.

Mental Health:

Requires GA Courts to notify FBI if a person has had involuntary commitment to mental institution, been adjudicated mentally incompetent to stand trial or has been found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Declared Emergency:

No one, while acting during or pursuant to a declared state of emergency, shall:
Temporarily or permanently seize, any firearm or ammunition which was not prohibited by law at the time immediately prior to the declaration of a state of emergency
Prohibit possession of any firearm or ammunition or any component thereof or
Prohibit any license holder from carrying any weapon if such carrying was not otherwise prohibited by law at the time immediately prior to the declaration of a state of emergency;
Require the registration of any firearm.
Strikes firearms and ammunition and components from the Governor’s Emergency Powers Act.

General:

Codify into law some common law prohibitions that prohibit a person from being arrested if they go to a prohibited location to save someone’s life.
Clarifies that private property owners my eject a person from their property but may not criminalize carrying.

Last edited:

SGaither

The proposed as written above has my support. I wish I could get the support of my employer to allow us to carry

Djtrout81

I sure hope they vote for it I like that last part written in there cause for some reason the left every once in a while needs a reminder of what sham not be infringed means

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Don't just hope it passes, contact your district rep and senator and urge them to vote for it.

Posted from Gon.com App for Android

deerdander

As a SC resident and cwl holder, I wished that they had added reciprocity with weapons carry license from any and all other states.

Khondker

Don't just hope it passes, contact your district rep and senator and urge them to vote for it.

Link below to find your local district representative and senator.

http://votesmart.org

When you open the page, there is a space that says "Find Your Elected Officials". Type in your 9-digit zip code and click on search.

The next page will give you the offices you want. For Representatives and Senators, click on State Legislature. A picture of your Representative and of your Senator will be shown on the next page. Clicking on the name beside the picture will bring up a page for them and their information will be on the right hand side of the page.

For the Governor's and Lt. Governor's contact information, click on "Gubernatorial". It will bring up a profile of Nathan Deal and a profile for Casey Cagle. Click on the one you want and their information will be on the right hand side of the page.

Please help.

Thanks everyone.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
deerdander said:
As a SC resident and cwl holder, I wished that they had added reciprocity with weapons carry license from any and all other states.

Push the S.C. legislature to do that and you will gain carry in Georgia.

Posted from Gon.com App for Android

Khondker

The House Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee last night voted on HB 875 resulting in a 9-3 pass vote.

HB 875 will now go to House Rules Committee, I am hoping House Rules Committee will pass the bill and will send it to House Floor for a full House vote.

Khondker

Dear friends,

Need some help over here.

The Georgia Baptist Convention lobbyist, Mike Griffin spoke in favor of HB875 at the hearing of the House Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee last Thursday.

Georgia Baptist Convention is receiving a lot of negative emails and needs our help to counter the negative emails.

It would great if we email the Georgia Baptist Convention and let them know we appreciate their support on church carry and believe the church deserves the right to practice their private property rights.

Link below to contact them

http://gabaptist.org/contact-us/

Thanks everyone

Last edited:

HuntinDawg89

Dear friends,

Need some help over here.

The Georgia Baptist Convention lobbyist, Mike Griffin spoke in favor of HB875 at the hearing of the House Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee last Thursday.

Georgia Baptist Convention is receiving a lot of negative emails and needs our help to counter the negative emails.

It would great if we email the Georgia Baptist Convention and let them know we appreciate their support on church carry and believe the church deserves the right to practice their private property rights.

Link below to contact them

http://gabaptist.org/contact-us/

Thanks everyone

As a member and volunteer in a Georgia Baptist Church this made me proud and I did e-mail them with my thanks. I was actually surprised that they got involved in something of this nature.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
As a member and volunteer in a Georgia Baptist Church this made me proud and I did e-mail them with my thanks. I was actually surprised that they got involved in something of this nature.

Maybe they actually looked at it as the private property rights issue that it really is. I couldn't believe the one Bishop/Minister or whatever he was that actually said "We can't manage our church..." :crazy:

Khondker

HB 875 will go to house floor for vote either next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Please contact your legislators to ask for their support on HB 875.

Go to http://openstates.org/ga/legislators/ and you can find your Representative and Senator info, email, mailing address, phone, etc. Fill out your address in the box on the right to look up your legislators.

Khondker

Update 2/18/14

House passed the bill 119 - 56.

Bill going to Senate now.

Thanks a lot everyone for your support.

groundhawg

Update 2/18/14

House passed the bill 119 - 56.

Bill going to Senate now.

Thanks a lot everyone for your support.

GREAT! Thanks for the update. I was just trying to see the infomation on the govt website. Do you have a website to see how each rep. voted. I contacted my rep via email but have not received any reply and want to see how he voted.