* Updated with Pictures Post 220 * 45 Day 'Round the US Camping Trip w/ Grands

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Samsam is talking about seeing the Air and Space Museum. I want to make sure we hit all the spots we can in DC, but not make it so rushed that they feel like there isn't any time for fun stuff.

I may take the over to Grand Central Station to eat lunch in the food court.

Its a shame your going south at Indy instead of Dayton. You could see the home of the Wrights that you'll be introduced to at Kittyhawk and see the USAF Mueseum.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Its a shame your going south at Indy instead of Dayton. You could see the home of the Wrights that you'll be introduced to at Kittyhawk and see the USAF Mueseum.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

How is Detroit to drive thru? There isn't a good way to get around it without it costing a couple hours driving.

Spending an afternoon in Dayton, and then on to Indy the next morning might be doable

normaldave

GON Weatherman
How is Detroit to drive thru? There isn't a good way to get around it without it costing a couple hours driving.

Spending an afternoon in Dayton, and then on to Indy the next morning might be doable
X2. The National Air Force Museum is a "must see". If possible, get a pass to go to the Presidential hangar on the base at Wright/Patterson, see several old "Air Force One" planes, and the SR-71 prototype.

The Museum is awesome, however, one of my favorites out on the Air Park, is this reproduction 8th Air Force Control tower. It is stepping back in time to Britain, WWII, as it happened, sound, radios, maps, status lights, antique fixtures, the works. (My uncle flew High Lead, B-17, learned this year he flew two support missions on D-Day).
050920-F-1234P-004.JPG

Inside the museum, the J58 jet starter for the SR-71 used two Buick 455 V8 engines to start the jet engine!
070709-F-1234S-001.JPG

Last edited:

normaldave

GON Weatherman
And of course there's this National Treasure.
World's Largest Ball of Twine.
-I could act like a "grand kid" for about 45 days or so...(just sayin'):smash:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Not that I’m bias but....I was there when that B-36 was flown into Wright field then disassembled and trucked to the museum on Patterson field. The aircraft is so large it was reassembled on the museum floor, shielded and the museum built around it. Some real treasures in the museum.

bilgerat

Senior
I have never driven thru Canada. I know I can't carry a gun thru there, but what else do I need to have with the grand children, as far as ID?
All minors entering Canada must present evidence of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate, a passport or passport card at the Canadian border. The child's parent or guardian should also have proof of the child's identity. Nov 1, 2017
you have plenty of time to get them a passport, makes it easy at the border and it would make the GK's feel important .

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Shreveport to Pensacola, stop by Mobile...Battleship Memorial Park, they've got one of everything, planes, tanks, sub, artillery, and of course a battleship.
uss_alabama_battleship_memorial_park_history.jpg

USS Alabama Memorial

Albuquerque NM, Sandia Speedway has something for every gear head.
Web-Pic3.jpg

Sandia Raceway Park

Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Shreveport to Pensacola, stop by Mobile...Battleship Memorial Park, they've got one of everything, planes, tanks, sub, artillery, and of course a battleship.
uss_alabama_battleship_memorial_park_history.jpg

USS Alabama Memorial

there is so much out there that I don't know about. Thanks for your input. We hope to make this a trip the kids will remember for the rest of their lives

Patriot44

Banned
This sounds amazing, Pap! Believe it or not, NE has some really, really cool places to visit and camp with TONS of history involved. Williamsburg will be great if it is not to hot. Lot's of walking/hiking.

Although I have not been (Hiking), I hear Colorado really is the holy grail. And as others have mentioned, Canada and the mid-west and west are cool too (ID, Dakota's, WY, etc) .

WayneB

not too many campgrounds around DC I would call affordable. One place in MD east of Andrews AFB, one nice place and one dump in Manassass, VA, KOA up near Annapolis. Look hard, check yelp and google maps reviews. IMO, that should be a different trip.

Cmp1

BANNED

Not too bad,,,,no where near as bad as Atl,,,,the AF museum is definitely worth a stop,,,,

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
not too many campgrounds around DC I would call affordable. One place in MD east of Andrews AFB, one nice place and one dump in Manassass, VA, KOA up near Annapolis. Look hard, check yelp and google maps reviews. IMO, that should be a different trip.

Yeah, I was noticing that there weren't many places to camp around. I did find one that was about 45 minutes out, called Cherry Hill. Looks like a site there runs $100 a night. KOA is about the same pricing. I hear you can't beat a KOA, but I have never stayed at one.

Anyone had experience with KOA?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Huh... I just tried to see if sites where available at the KOA in our timeframe, and the website says it will be closed for 3 months during the summer of next year.... That takes KOA out of the equation.

normaldave

GON Weatherman

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I am going to offer some input on logistics and a few of my must see things going west. I can offer more or expand if needed.

I agree with you that maybe the east coast and NE should be one trip and the Midwest and West another.

Plan for vehicle maintenance. Shop time for oil change, tire checks, grease wheel bearings on camper, etc.

Plan ahead for prescription medications for that long period.

Figure in some unscheduled days of “downtime” for relaxation after several days of driving hundreds of miles.

Look into getting an “America the Beautiful “pass. I got mine at age 62 for lifetime admission for me and my vehicle to all federal lands. Mine only costed $20, it is higher now. That includes all National parks and historic sites.

You have towed long trailers enough to know that access is going to be limited to some stores, restaurants, etc. while towing that camper. Pappy might have to explain why that McDonald's isn’t an option but the restaurant next to Walmart is better.

Some National parks have a rule about not allowing vehicles longer than 21 ft. in parking areas. Better read up or call ahead if you are just passing through pulling the camper.

Google YouTube and look at scenic drives in the areas you are passing through. When you get to the Wyoming/Montana area a must do is the Beartooth Pass drive.
Spend as many days as possible in that area and in Yellowstone. See all the areas that the grand loop takes you to. Around every corner and hill is a post card perfect view. This area is one of God’s greatest gifts. You will be stopping and being awed a lot. Expect to see hundreds of buffalo in the Lamar and Hayden valleys. Lifetime memories for those children and you.

While in the Yellowstone/Teton area consider taking a mild water raft ride down the Snake River. More lifetime memories scenes floating down that river.
While passing from southern Utah into the Grand Canyon area you will probably be on US 163. You will pass the spot where Forrest Gump stopped running in the movie. Lots of folks stop here and get pictures. South of there consider staying at Goulding’s lodge and campground. This is where the movie folks stayed back when John Ford and John Wayne were making westerns here. Do either a self-drive or ride the tour trucks into the valley areas to see the bluffs.

While at Grand Canyon the main attraction of course is the canyon as light changes. Folks start at 4 am heading to the Canyon to see and photograph dawn and they also do the same at sunset. Late in the afternoon there are elk to be seen all over the place. The eastern rim area is where we saw the most wildlife. The western rim is only accessible by foot or park bus.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
thank you for the input Marvin. I have several days of rest put in here and there. If I figured 8 or 9 hour of driving one day, then the next 2 days are no driving or minimal driving.

WayneB

I've had enough KOA experience to suggest you just get a motel, it costs about the same.
Each one is a franchise, that said most owners are butt-hurt they got into a 10 or 15 year agreement with little room to get out. If you are retired military, any installation with a campground os fair game. I stayed at Quantico and hit the Marine museum for a week, still missed stuff I'm sure.