* Updated with Pictures Post 220 * 45 Day 'Round the US Camping Trip w/ Grands

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have punched in the suggestions by Slayer. It adds 1 day or 2 days and about 200 miles to our trip, but we can now go by the Hoover Dam and let the kids go down in the dam elevator.

What ya'll think about this layout.

ALT 8 MAP.jpg

GeorgiaGlockMan

Ne ga pappy

Looks like the trip of a lifetime.

You got alot planned. I'd never go thru Idaho without stopping somewhere on the snake river canyon. It is a highly underrated and maybe the most beautiful state there is.

Take lots of pictures.

Would love to do the same thing someday.

ETA _ stop at four corners between l/k points. You can stand in 4 states at once.

cowhornedspike

I have punched in the suggestions by Slayer. It adds 1 day or 2 days and about 200 miles to our trip, but we can now go by the Hoover Dam and let the kids go down in the dam elevator.

View attachment 996404

I was going to suggest Hoover dam as it was one of the most memorable stops on our trip when I was a kid. Also Carlsbad caverns was memorable but looks to be south of where you are going.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Ne ga pappy

Looks like the trip of a lifetime.

You got alot planned. I'd never go thru Idaho without stopping somewhere on the snake river canyon. It is a highly underrated and maybe the most beautiful state there is.

Take lots of pictures.

Would love to do the same thing someday.

ETA _ stop at four corners between l/k points. You can stand in 4 states at once.

it looks like 4 corners is only about 25 to 30 miles off our intended course. Maybe we can make that happen. Thanks for the input.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
it looks like 4 corners is only about 25 to 30 miles off our intended course. Maybe we can make that happen. Thanks for the input.
I have experienced both and will offer this. Don’t miss driving through monument valley to see 4 Corners.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
In the G vicinity do y’all plan to visit or stay near Custer State Park?

At H are y’all going into YNP via the east gate or over the Beartooth Pass?

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

View attachment 996404
Man alive you are going to have a trip of a lifetime! Great idea on bringing a printer for them to make their own scrap book!

You will not regret going out of your way and adding to your trip!!

How long do you plan on staying around the MOAB and Arches area? How about Zions? I can help ya plan your adventures based on the time you are there to get more bang for your buck. A lot of the "viewing" can be done by your vehicle but there are some really cool stuff to see if you don't mind a little hiking. My boy didn't have a problem with the hiking. I would highly recommend investing in CamelBaks! You can get them a lot cheaper now than on the road.

Not sure how long you'll be in Provo but like I mentioned before, you can take a car ride up American Fork Canyon on the alpine loop. There are multiple places to stop and take pictures. It's my favorite place for a "quick" ride. Every year I go back to Utah I make the drive through.

This is up American Fork Canyon. We use to go sledding up there.
1970676_578990442192649_433371642_n.jpg

Bridal Veil Falls is up the Provo Canyon and it has easy access.
1468607_524703334288027_604037800_n.jpg

This is the Provo River up by Heber City in the Provo Canyon.
1262612_501388009952893_1525991568_o.jpg

Mt Timpanogos in the summer time!
10259231_617342805024079_7977353965885277009_o.jpg

You'll miss seeing the Tetons. My wife wasn't impressed with them. She said "They look like the mountains in front of our house".. facepalm:

12366_627576004000759_6021747530976337757_n.jpg

Most every river out there will be raging due to snow melt and Yellowstone will still have snow.

You going to try and get any fishing in while you are on the road? I know my way around Wyoming, Idaho and Utah pretty good so I can help there too.. :D

Last edited:

Browning Slayer

Not sure if it was mentioned but when you are out West at the Parks.. Get up and out early! The crowds can get big!! You’ll also increase your wildlife sightings!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
In the G vicinity do y’all plan to visit or stay near Custer State Park?

At H are y’all going into YNP via the east gate or over the Beartooth Pass?

we are planning on going in the east gate, camping at Grant for 3 nights, and Canyon for 1.

I want to drive up to Beartooth while we are there.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Man alive you are going to have a trip of a lifetime! Great idea on bringing a printer for them to make their own scrap book!

You will not regret going out of your way and adding to your trip!!

How long do you plan on staying around the MOAB and Arches area? How about Zions? I can help ya plan your adventures based on the time you are there to get more bang for your buck. A lot of the "viewing" can be done by your vehicle but there are some really cool stuff to see if you don't mind a little hiking. My boy didn't have a problem with the hiking. I would highly recommend investing in CamelBaks! You can get them a lot cheaper now than on the road.

Not sure how long you'll be in Provo but like I mentioned before, you can take a car ride up American Fork Canyon on the alpine loop. There are multiple places to stop and take pictures. It's my favorite place for a "quick" ride. Every year I go back to Utah I make the drive through.

This is up American Fork Canyon. We use to go sledding up there.
1970676_578990442192649_433371642_n.jpg

Bridal Veil Falls is up the Provo Canyon and it has easy access.
1468607_524703334288027_604037800_n.jpg

This is the Provo River up by Heber City in the Provo Canyon.
1262612_501388009952893_1525991568_o.jpg

Mt Timpanogos in the summer time!
10259231_617342805024079_7977353965885277009_o.jpg

You'll miss seeing the Tetons. My wife wasn't impressed with them. She said "They look like the mountains in front of our house".. facepalm:

12366_627576004000759_6021747530976337757_n.jpg

Most every river out there will be raging due to snow melt and Yellowstone will still have snow.

You going to try and get any fishing in while you are on the road? I know my way around Wyoming, Idaho and Utah pretty good so I can help there too.. :D

I want to take the kids fishing while we are there, and catch a trout or two myself, just to say I did. My grandson Malachi loves to fish. Samuel isn't as keen on it as Mali, but he likes it.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
How long do you plan on staying around the MOAB and Arches area? How about Zions?

Just one night in Provo. Then on down to Moab. My brother works for a company that has a plant in Moab. He is trying to see if a friend of his there might be able to take us to some privately owned local sights. Like some cliff houses, petroglyphs and other sights most people won't ever know are there.

We will be in Moab for 2 nights. Driving in from Provo one day, stay the night after driving into The Arches perhaps. Then go to Canyonlands Park the next day. Stay that night, and then to Pace, AZ

We will stay two nights in Pace. One day to take the boat tour down the river to Lees Ferry and then the next day to drive over to Springdale, UT and camp at Zion Park for 3 nights.

Drive to Hoover Dam, Spend one night and tour dam, then to the South Rim. We will stay 2 nights there, 2nd night mostly to rest up for the long drive to Albequerque, Roswell and then to Sweetwater Texas.

Browning Slayer

Just one night in Provo. Then on down to Moab. My brother works for a company that has a plant in Moab. He is trying to see if a friend of his there might be able to take us to some privately owned local sights. Like some cliff houses, petroglyphs and other sights most people won't ever know are there.

We will be in Moab for 2 nights. Driving in from Provo one day, stay the night after driving into The Arches perhaps. Then go to Canyonlands Park the next day. Stay that night, and then to Pace, AZ

We will stay two nights in Pace. One day to take the boat tour down the river to Lees Ferry and then the next day to drive over to Springdale, UT and camp at Zion Park for 3 nights.

Drive to Hoover Dam, Spend one night and tour dam, then to the South Rim. We will stay 2 nights there, 2nd night mostly to rest up for the long drive to Albequerque, Roswell and then to Sweetwater Texas.
Heck yeah! I’ll come up with some local stuff for you. There are so many cool Arches that are not in the park. I’ll get some stuff together for you. We did a zip line in Moab with the boy that was flat out AWESOME! Sunset that overlooked Arches, Colorado River and Dead Horse.

Last edited:

Browning Slayer

I showed this thread to the wife and she is super excited for you guys!

Pappy, this is a treasure that will stick with these young in’s forever!

Good freaking job!!!!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I would do a zip line, and Samuel would, but his sister or Meeno.... ain't no way.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
good grief... 6 months out is the earliest you can reserve in Yellowstone. They have closed Fishing Bridge for renovations, so camping spots are in short supply, and mostly book for summer months now.

I had to move our departure date by 2 days just to get a camping spot in Yellowstone, and I still wasn't able to get the number of days I wanted in one campground. Gonna have to move to another campground after 3 days.

Man, Yellowstone is a poplar place to camp

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
good grief... 6 months out is the earliest you can reserve in Yellowstone. They have closed Fishing Bridge for renovations, so camping spots are in short supply, and mostly book for summer months now.

I had to move our departure date by 2 days just to get a camping spot in Yellowstone, and I still wasn't able to get the number of days I wanted in one campground. Gonna have to move to another campground after 3 days.

Man, Yellowstone is a poplar place to camp

Try reserving rooms in the NPS lodges They told me at Glacier it is usually booked 13 months in advance

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
they actually had rooms at Canyon Lodge... @ $377.00 per night

Amazing they had an opening.
Did you notice the in park lodges feature no ac, no tv, no phones at those prices.