* Updated with Pictures Post 220 * 45 Day 'Round the US Camping Trip w/ Grands

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Amazing they had an opening.
Did you notice the in park lodges feature no ac, no tv, no phones at those prices.

it also featured 'NO DEAL' from me. My goodness, I thought I had stayed in some high priced rooms before, but nothing like that

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Rabbit Trail...

6.8L V10, 10K tow rating, 15 passenger, E-350 Super Duty Wagon. One of the best kept secrets in high passenger capacity combined with real world towing. XLT, rear heat/Air conditioning, factory tinted glass all the way around, factory tow package.
15,000 GCWR with 3.73, 17,700 with 4.10, 10,000 trailer rating across the board.
2005 Fleet Ford Towing

carringb on rv.net has one with a dual rear wheel conversion, is fast approaching 500K on his original motor, most of it heavy towing. If you have a houseful of folks, this boring rig, has amazing capabilities. The only other passenger rig that ever got close was the 8.1L Suburban.

No more "G'mom he's touching me, G'Dad she pinched me, fell asleep on my backpack..."
2005 E-350 Wagon V10
1fbss31s65hb29703-2005-ford-econoline-e-350-extended-5-speed-automatic-used-bus-mount-olive-nc.jpg

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Rabbit Trail...

6.8L V10, 10K tow rating, 15 passenger, E-350 Super Duty Wagon. One of the best kept secrets in high passenger capacity combined with real world towing. XLT, rear heat/Air conditioning, factory tinted glass all the way around, factory tow package.
15,000 GCWR with 3.73, 17,700 with 4.10, 10,000 trailer rating across the board.
2005 Fleet Ford Towing

carringb on rv.net has one with a dual rear wheel conversion, is fast approaching 500K on his original motor, most of it heavy towing. If you have a houseful of folks, this boring rig, has amazing capabilities. The only other passenger rig that ever got close was the 8.1L Suburban.

No more "G'mom he's touching me, G'Dad she pinched me, fell asleep on my backpack..."
2005 E-350 Wagon V10
1fbss31s65hb29703-2005-ford-econoline-e-350-extended-5-speed-automatic-used-bus-mount-olive-nc.jpg

I have a E350 15 Passenger with the 5.8 in it. But it won't be going to Yellowstone. We are going to get in some offroad situations in Utah and AZ, so I want my 4WD Dodge to pull with. The quad cab is plenty of room, even with 3 little ones in the back seat. And if it gets to touchy,squirmy, then I will move one to the front between Pappy and Meeno.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I'd trade space for 4WD too, based on your destination. My E-150 Chateau 5.8L gets stuck in the level yard, and with that E4OD and 3.55, it won't pull a... (While it is ultimately reliable, let's just say it doesn't pull very well). :wink:

That V10 is a beast...you could just drop it off at U-Joint Offroad in Fletcher NC, and presto! 4WD Van!

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...er, camping trip around the US.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I'd trade space for 4WD too, based on your destination. My E-150 Chateau 5.8L gets stuck in the level yard, and with that E4OD and 3.55, it won't pull a... (While it is ultimately reliable, let's just say it doesn't pull very well). :wink:

That V10 is a beast...you could just drop it off at U-Joint Offroad in Fletcher NC, and presto! 4WD Van!

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...er, camping trip around the US.

I think my 6.4 Hemi probably uses enough gas without resorting to the V10 in a 6.8L configuration.

Besides, the 6.4 Hemi is 410 hp from the factory while the V10 was in the 300hp range

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
just got back from a camping trip at Edisto Beach with the grands. We had a great time even though it rain for a day and half while we were there. Then the winds picked up.

Just a bit over 650 miles round trip. The grands did great traveling. My truck got right at 12mpg towing the camper at interstate speeds and in the rain. So my budget of 550 gallons @ $3.00 should be pretty accurate too.

660griz

The wife and I did a similar trip on my motorcycle a few years back. Georgia to Yellowstone, S. Dakota, etc., and back in 9 days. Good times but, I will not repeat. Bison 20 feet away while on a motorcycle, stuck in traffic, was a little unnerving.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
The wife and I did a similar trip on my motorcycle a few years back. Georgia to Yellowstone, S. Dakota, etc., and back in 9 days. Good times but, I will not repeat. Bison 20 feet away while on a motorcycle, stuck in traffic, was a little unnerving.

i just hope to see a few. and grab a bison steak while I am out there.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
i just hope to see a few. and grab a bison steak while I am out there.

There is a decent buffalo population at Custer State Park near Custer SD. They seemed different than those at Yellowstone somehow. Maybe tamer.

CSP also has wild burros that will come up and stick their head in your car window. If you have a bag of apples the burros are your best friend. They also have about 10 million prairie dogs.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
There is a decent buffalo population at Custer State Park near Custer SD. They seemed different than those at Yellowstone somehow. Maybe tamer.

CSP also has wild burros that will come up and stick their head in your car window. If you have a bag of apples the burros are your best friend. They also have about 10 million prairie dogs.

we are in Deadwood for 2 days. I want to make a run down to Custer if we can while we are that close. According to the map, it is only about 50 miles.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
we are in Deadwood for 2 days. I want to make a run down to Custer if we can while we are that close. According to the map, it is only about 50 miles.

the only problem with it might be the day before, we will be driving nearly 400 miles, and I don't want to wear the kids out one day, and stick them in a car all the next day too

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
the only problem with it might be the day before, we will be driving nearly 400 miles, and I don't want to wear the kids out one day, and stick them in a car all the next day too

Consider staying at Custer instead of Deadwood. We stayed there 3 nights as our base of operations for all the Black Hills attractions.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Consider staying at Custer instead of Deadwood. We stayed there 3 nights as our base of operations for all the Black Hills attractions.

I have already made reservations at Deadwood. The kids are wanting to take a stagecoach ride, and I want to see 'The Trial of Jack McCall' I understand they involve the audience in playing out the trial. It is the story of the murder of Wild Bill Hitchcock

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
If y’all end up stating at Custer the kids would enjoy this a short drive south of Custer.

https://www.mammothsite.org/

I am seeing if I can work this into my trip. It is only 100 miles from Deadwood, and we are going to be in Deadwood for 2 nights. It might work out. I know the boys would love to dig up a 'mammoth' even if the bones are replicas, like they use in the kids dig site.

Thanks for the input Marvin

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
well, all the reservations are made, except for one 2 night stay that won't accept reservations until 5 months previous. We will be driving right at 5700 miles, not including any day trips off the path to see some interesting stuff. It worked out to be 38 nights long, and I tried to put enough down days in so the kids won't die of truck jail.

The budget for this project is ~ $9,000, and I think we can do it for a bit less. I have budgetted $2,000 for fuel. I figured 10mph for 7500 miles @$3.00 a gallon. My truck will actually do closer to 12mph pulling the camper. The cost of camping is $1886 plus the 2 nights I don't have reserved yet. So together, we are at roughly $4,000.

I would hope that for another 5K, I can feed 5 people and pay some admission into some pretty neat attractions that the kids and I will remember the rest of our lives.

This is what the trip ends up looking like on a map. I am still open for suggestions for side trips, ways to save $$$, and other insight.

1579061644421.png

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I am seeing if I can work this into my trip. It is only 100 miles from Deadwood, and we are going to be in Deadwood for 2 nights. It might work out. I know the boys would love to dig up a 'mammoth' even if the bones are replicas, like they use in the kids dig site.

Thanks for the input Marvin

It’s a really neat place. They simply built a large structure over what was once the tar pit that trapped all sorts of animals. I think they have been digging since the 1970s.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
It’s a really neat place. They simply built a large structure over what was once the tar pit that trapped all sorts of animals. I think they have been digging since the 1970s.

I read that Marvin. I bet it would be all kinds of interesting. There are so many sights here in the US that I have never even heard of..... We sure are blessed in America.