* Updated with Pictures Post 220 * 45 Day 'Round the US Camping Trip w/ Grands

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
The Weatherby factory+office is in Sheridan, WY now. I don't think they're set up to tour the factory yet, but I believe they have a showroom set up to walk through. Might be a good stop if you need to stretch your legs in that area and aren't in a hurry to get to the next stop.

Meeno ain't gonna allow Pappy near no gun shop that has a gun for sale... not on this trip. I have been trying to convince her that Pappy needs a new EDC for the trip. I haven't even gotten to 1st base on that deal yet.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I still have 5 reservations toward the end of our trip to change the date of our stay. As of right now, we are still on go. If I have to make those changes at the end of the trip after we leave on our trip, I will. Or I will schedule at a different camp ground.

We aren't above parking at a Wally World for one night if we have to.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Don’t you figure you can find places or just call the day before without making reservations now?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Don’t you figure you can find places or just call the day before without making reservations now?

I have called 3 of the places Marvin . One said they would be open on May 15th, and could help change the date then.

One was suppose to call me on Friday, but didn't. They are in Allerbammy, so they may be confused as to when Friday happens. :p

One spot in Roswell NM says that the governor has them shut down, and until he opens up, they can't even get to a computer to see my reservations.

Texas State Parks reservation system is down until they open back up. I may end up staying at a KOA or other place there, but we really want to stay at the state park in Glen Rose Dinosaur Park.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Hey Pappy! How's the trip looking? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

well, I still got a couple of reservations to change toward the end of the trip because Yellowstone decided to postpone opening the park for camping until June 14th, IIRC. I was able to get 4 nights inside the park the next week, but I have had to rearrange all the other reservations.

Because NM and TX have been on lockdown, I haven't been able to confirm the reservations there yet. TX has started letting people camp who have reservations, but not to make new reservations. and they won't let me move my arrival date. Yet. If push comes to shove, we will change to a private campground in Texas and just do day visits to the Dinosaur State Park instead.

I worked on the camper over the weekend. Pulled all the wheels, cleaned and repacked all the wheel bearings, put in new grease seals because a couple were seeping, and I didn't want my brakes failing because of the grease. I still need to finish up pulling a complete inventory of all the stuff in the camper to make sure we have all our needs, but that should be finished tonight.

Meeno is going shopping for the perishable stuff later this week, and we will be ready to pull out.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Pappy I applaud you for all the organizing and reservations making.:clap::clap:
I tend to have a good idea of where I am going but tend to make minimal reservations. We find something when we get there. I do make reservations when visiting somewhere like Yellowstone.
Y’all are in for some fun.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Pappy I applaud you for all the organizing and reservations making.:clap::clap:
I tend to have a good idea of where I am going but tend to make minimal reservations. We find something when we get there. I do make reservations when visiting somewhere like Yellowstone.
Y’all are in for some fun.

we have had to be flexible on this since the CHI-NAH flu got here. Yellowstone cancelled my reservations, and then we had to re-arrange all the stuff. Texas is suppose to open up reservations again in the morning, and that should get all but one reservation in NM done.

We were going to drive straight to Nashville, and visit the zoo that afternoon, but the zoo is closed. So we are shifting a bit north to Sweetwater, TN and touring Lost Sea. It is an underground lake where you can take a boat ride underground. The kids should really love that.

cjones

we have had to be flexible on this since the CHI-NAH flu got here. Yellowstone cancelled my reservations, and then we had to re-arrange all the stuff. Texas is suppose to open up reservations again in the morning, and that should get all but one reservation in NM done.

We were going to drive straight to Nashville, and visit the zoo that afternoon, but the zoo is closed. So we are shifting a bit north to Sweetwater, TN and touring Lost Sea. It is an underground lake where you can take a boat ride underground. The kids should really love that.

That will be fun. If you're looking to kill time in that area, Land Between the Lakes is a good spot to cruise around and see a few sites. I think I still have a couple piece of spent iron ore from the big furnaces that were on-site there.

specialk

lost sea is awesome, been once and would love to go back!!.....they got huge rainbows in that lake begging to be caught but good luck sneaking a rod/reel down there lol.......

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
lost sea is awesome, been once and would love to go back!!.....they got huge rainbows in that lake begging to be caught but good luck sneaking a rod/reel down there lol.......

We are carrying fishing rods. Maybe I should have ordered me one of those Ronco Pocket fishing rods from years gone by....

bassboy1

I think the population of those is dropping. I first went probably 13 years ago, and I remember the big trout were everywhere. Went back about 6 months ago, and only saw a few.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member

Yes they will love it. Really cool place & story.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I made up a shopping list, with an inventory of things in the camper, and a place to note what we have used, and what we need to buy at the next grocery stop. This, along with a menu of meals, should make life much easier on the road. And much quicker grocery stops when we need them.

Attachments

• SHOPPING LIST.pdf
    104.2 KB · Views: 36

Head East

Safe travels! Hope you have a great time! Dont forget to put the pin in the receiver on the hitch! Dont ax me how i know...

GeorgiaGlockMan

I made up a shopping list, with an inventory of things in the camper, and a place to note what we have used, and what we need to buy at the next grocery stop. This, along with a menu of meals, should make life much easier on the road. And much quicker grocery stops when we need them.
Need more than 8 vianer's.

Other than that, you are GTG.

Pics when it happens or it didn't (so my daughter says).

Head East

Are we having fun yet? :p

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
We got back from our trip last night. I will start posting up some of our pictures and commentary on what we did while we were gone.

We tried to get pictures at all the state lines, but weren't able to do that. Some of those signs were just put in unsafe places to pull over, and it wasn't worth taking a chance on it.

Our first state line was North Carolina. nc line.jpg

We were on our way to Nashville, TN area to camp, and went by Lost Sea first.

tn st pic.JPG

The bikes were tied to the camper with care, in hopes when we stopped, they would still be there. Actually, roads in Utah were so rough, that it broke the new bike rack and I had to buy another one at Wally World before we could continue our trip.

DSC_0038.jpg

The children enjoyed the tour, and Sam was disappointed that he couldn't catch some of the fish in the underground lake.

lost sea.jpg

We went down in the cave, and enjoyed the tour of the caves. It would be really interesting to do the long tour where they let you crawl through all the tight spots, and see things that are not on the normal tour.

in the cave.jpg

The different formations and how they came about was interesting. I found the information on how the Confederates used the bat poop in the cave to make gunpowder interesting. They called this formation Cave Bacon.... I guess it might if you use your imagination some.

cave bacon.jpg

This one shows a lot of wear. It is called Bear Paw. The guide told us if you touch it, you get 1 week of good luck, if you hug it you get one month good luck, and if you kiss it, there is no telling what you would get.

bear paw formation.jpg