* Updated with Pictures Post 220 * 45 Day 'Round the US Camping Trip w/ Grands

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Thanks for sharing this incredible journey with us! You really did it well. All the must sees in our great west and a lot of bonus sites. Your grandkids are very lucky. What an adventure and education!

I am the fortunate one. I got to spend 6 weeks with my wife and 2 of my grand babies. How can it get any better than that? Eating when we wanted, sleeping when we wanted, swimming almost every day, and just enjoying life.

Man, I want to do it again now.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Great trip, Pappy. They'll remember that one for the rest of their lives. Glad you were able to hit Yellowstone. That place is a national jewell.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Great trip, Pappy. They'll remember that one for the rest of their lives. Glad you were able to hit Yellowstone. That place is a national jewell.

I would like to take a couple of weeks, fly into Denver, rent a car and tour around Pikes Peak, then drive back up to the Cody/Yellowstone area again. We really liked that area, and I want to spend another several hours in the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody.

Did you see the news report that a geyser that hadn't erupted in over 6 years did so last week? It was blowing steam and water over 200 feet into the air according to the report I read.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Did you see the news report that a geyser that hadn't erupted in over 6 years did so last week? It was blowing steam and water over 200 feet into the air according to the report I read.

Didn't see that. Will have to look it up.

That drive from Denver to Cody is long. Done it at least a half dozen times. At least the country is beautiful.

nrh0011

Man, what a trip. Happy for you pappy, I cant imagine how bad you want to be back out there!

I read today there's a chance that Old Faithful could go inactive after 600 years of activity? Apparently there is some scientific concern for it, interesting.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Man, what a trip. Happy for you pappy, I cant imagine how bad you want to be back out there!

I read today there's a chance that Old Faithful could go inactive after 600 years of activity? Apparently there is some scientific concern for it, interesting.

i read that report. They stated it is getting less and less reliable, and that the average time between eruptions is now over 90 minutes. It was right at 60 minutes a few years back. They say it is slowing down because of a drought, and if the drought continues, it will cease to erupt.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
The next morning we traveled into Yellowstone to stay at Bridge Bay campground. On the 50 mile or so drive, we saw this bear on the ridge above the road.

View attachment 1027886

After we got camp set up, we explored right around the campground, and settled in for the evening. There is no electrical, bath houses, or water available at Bridge Bay campground, so you had to be ready for night when it came.

View attachment 1027890

The next morning we headed out to see the southern end of Yellowstone. This is one of the first sights we met, about 1/2 a mile from our camper.

View attachment 1027892

We drove on south, and came to the Continental Divide. We crossed the Divide several times on this trip.

View attachment 1027896

The Black Sands Geysers were interesting, and colorful. This is Rainbow Spring Geyser.View attachment 1027895

There are all kinds of wild animals in the park, and I hoped we would see some predators, but no such luck. They are there, but we just didn't see them, but we did see their tracks.

View attachment 1027898

We traveled on up to Geyser Valley and saw Old Faithful. This is Old Faithful at rest.

View attachment 1027887

Old Faithful at about half mast...

View attachment 1027888

Old Faithful at full bore.

View attachment 1027889

We moved on to the Grand Prismatic Pool. The pictures don't do the colors displayed justice at all. Samuel made this picture, and started using my camera for a bit almost everyday. He told me I needed to buy him a camera like mine. I told him, Son, you are holding pretty near $1500 in your hands there.

View attachment 1027893
Reckon what the temperature of that water is when it first comes out of the ground.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Can you adopt me and take me with next time? Your pictures are fantastic, what a trip/adventure for your kids.

Greg,

I have already adopted 5, and I am busy helping raise grandbabies now. I think you are a few years late to the party. Sorry.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Reckon what the temperature of that water is when it first comes out of the ground.

I don't know, but I read today where someone was banned from Yellowstone for life, because they were cooking a chicken in the geyer.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I was reliving this trip today with some friends. As we got together with our kids and grands over the holiday, it reminded me of just how grateful I am that we got to spend this time together with those kiddos.

What I wouldn't give to be able to do that with each and every one of my g'babies. I want them to be able to remember back to when Pappy and I went.....

whether that is a trip like this, a week long trip to the beach (coming up in April) with Pappy, Meeno and their cousins, or just a couple hour trip to the lake to put a few crappie in the boat.

Relationships is where the rubber meets the road people. If you ain't building them, you are destroying them. Relationships are not a static thing, like putting a jar of coins under the night stand. The coins will still be there when you come back in 4, 5 or 10 years. Relationships don't work that way, either you are involved in them, nurturing, growing and enjoying the fruit of that work, or you will watch them wither up and die. One day you will wake up and wonder what happened to all that time, and where your loved ones wandered off to. God help me not to take my relationships for granted.