Upgrading electronics on the NuCanoe F12

RamblinWreck

First I had the Lowrance Hook2 SplitShot 5" model on my kayak, which worked OK, and I learned to use a sonar to find/target fish on it. After a year or so, I sold it and replaced it with a Garmin Echomap Plus 93sv chartplotter. These were on a black-Friday blowout for $599, and I was thinking about maybe adding Livescope in the future. I originally bought the Garmin for my Alweld CC "big" boat. I ended up going to a 10" Ultra with Livescope on the Alweld, with a Mega+ SI Helix 9 G3N at the console, and I sold the Echomap Plus a few months ago. Now I had the big Alweld fixed up, but nothing on the NuCanoe.

I love using the Livescope. I want it on the kayak, too! It has been a game changer for me. I fish some small lakes and electric-only places where the big boat cannot go, and I really miss not having this useful tool on the kayak.

I decided to go with a 9" again on the kayak, and bought a new Garmin UHD 93sv model, with the GT54UHD transducer.
Garmin EchoMap UHD 93sv
While not quite as good side imaging as my Mega+ 'bird Helix 9 on the big boat, it should be a lot better than the older 93 I sold, and will run the Livescope. I have a small Duracell 9 AH battery that will run it just fine. Later when I move my Livescope over between boats, I'll go to a bigger battery, since the GLS10 black box is a power hog. I'll have to build a new mount for the PLS transducer, so I am working on that.

I'll update with some pics when I get started installing it. Waiting on FedX.

RamblinWreck

OK folks. I got the 93sv installed. I used a Ram "C" size ball mount, with medium long arm and a universal fishfinder mount. The Nucanoe has tracks, so I found some toilet bolts that fit the track, drilled 2 holes in the RAM ball base, put a piece of rubber foam I had laying around, and that is how I attached the base to the track.

Battery is not shown, but goes in the front hatch. I used Anderson Power Pole connectors so I can un-snap the battery and bring it inside to charge it.

I am using a Scotty transducer arm that goes into a track I added for rod holders for now. I will be getting with a machinist friend and building a new arm that will also serve as a Livescope mount with aiming capability. Stay tuned for that, but, for now, I am enjoying the 2D/DV/SV and actually found - and caught - some fish today. Fried fish fer supper! I love it.

Yes, I am a nerd, and I do love me some gadgets. :geek: :LOL:

New Garmin on the water:
nuc_garminl01.jpgnuc_garminl02.jpg

Here the transducer arm is tilted up. I stow it when launching/loading, or when I need to use the anchor trolley. I may move the trolley to the other side. Not sure.
nuc_garminl03.jpg

Transducer arm in "running" position.
nuc_garminl04.jpg

Close-up of the RAM and Scotty mount
nuc_garminl05.jpgnuc_garminl06.jpgnuc_garminl07.jpg
Power connection
nuc_garminl08.jpg

RamblinWreck

Too windy to fish today! Here's a pic of some beds I found yesterday with the new unit.
svbeds.jpg

RamblinWreck

Prob buy another Ionic 50 Ah lithium - to save weight and space (the ONLY reason the buy lithium IMO). In the meantime I'll use a Duracell Ultra AGM 35 Ah mobility battery I already have.

RamblinWreck

EDIT:
The Scotty transducer mount shown above is useless for Livescope, and I never liked it much - it is not streamlined and seems to make a lot of noise trolling along. I don't even really need the other transducer as once you go Livescope, you don't use the other modes much, if at all. So I am trying to build one out of PVC.

I found a video of a good-looking mount for $25, but some of the parts are hard to find in local stores. I didn't want to order them and wait.

Edit: had to go to Norcross to get all the stuff.

Last edited:

Bream Pole

Nice!

RamblinWreck

I rigged up a temporary PVC mount with various fittings and odds 'n ends... so I can go fishing in the morning, since the RAM stuff wont be here until Tuesday. Looking forward to using the PLS on the kayak.

Geffellz18

I rigged up a temporary PVC mount with various fittings and odds 'n ends... so I can go fishing in the morning, since the RAM stuff wont be here until Tuesday. Looking forward to using the PLS on the kayak.
Was gonna mention the Ram products. I have it on one of my kayaks. Works great for me, but my fish finders fairly basic. Yours looks like a big screen tv on that kayak, lol. Definitely rigged out for sure.
85FD0F64-0C6C-4560-80BB-E56CD4E4229C.jpeg

RamblinWreck

RAM parts got here early, so I finished the mount just now. I just need to go test it out, and maybe paint it to match the 'yak. When I get on the lake tomorrow morning, I'll take some pics. If you search "$25 Livescope mount" on youtube, this was the basic design I copied.

Battery and GLS10 module are in the front hatch, and are a tight fit, and eventually I will put some sort of plastic box in there. TM battery was moved to the rear behind the seat, in my cargo milk crate. I am not permanently mounting anything, because I have to be able to move the PLS system between my kayak and the big boat.

RamblinWreck

OK I can wrap this thread up with pics. The mount is close at hand, but I'll need to move anchor trolley to other side. The DIY mount has a few cons: it spins too easy and needs a thumb screw for friction. The LVS32 transducer, on a Summit perspective mount, sticks out the side a ways, and the drag makes it spin when running above half throttle on the TM. Also, it kinda takes two hands to adjust the RAM arm which is clumsy for me, and tips the kayak over a bit. I will use it for now since I want to fish, but will be making mods, and/or a better mount later.
Thanks for reading; hope this helps someone.

Mount in stowed position for travel. Head rides in the truck, snaps in when you get there. The PLS cable is very long, so you just have to coil it up and deal with it. I'll put must of it under the hatch :
nuc_GPLS01.jpg

RAM coupling arm to stow/deploy mount. 1" PVC T:
nuc_GPLS02.jpg

Side view of whole install, with mount detached:
nuc_GPLS04.jpg

Gland nut used for permanent power and network to head unit. Wires run inside the hull. This is a Sealtite nut, kinda expensive, with seal for 2 cables. Totally waterproof. You have to use the 3/4" model (1" hole in boat) to get the Garmin connectors thru.
nuc_GPLS05.jpg

Front hatch closed. Thgre is a drain groove where the PLS transducer cable goes under the seal, and I trimmed a u-shaped notch in the lip so the cable does not chafe, and the hatch is still (mostly) waterproof. I have to be able to easily move the transducer and GLS10 module between the kayak and my Alweld "big boat".
nuc_GPLS06.jpg

Front hatch with GLS10 module and 35 Ah mobility battery. Ran it all day yesterday and it only went down to 12.1 V.
nuc_GPLS07.jpg

RamblinWreck

Today I found some crappie with the Garmin/Livescope. Caught around 30 - only kept four. Used my gray ghost hand-tied jig to catch all of them on a UL rod. FUN!
cr090520.jpg