Upland bird hunting with a dog near Atlanta

Luda

Hello, I'll cut right to the chase - just got a German Shorthaired Pointer puppy and she is now 12 weeks old. She already knows most of the basic commands and I think it's almost time to test out her drive. I want to get out on a field and start training her to hunt birds soon. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I could do so OR maybe some affordable training schools around Atlanta or somewhere close?
I appreciate your help!

crackerdave

I don't think you will find many quail around Atlanta, unless they are pen raised at one of the shooting preserves.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Most good trainers do it for a living.
May be able to google some more lessons and see what they do.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Join the local NAVDHA chapter. You have two to choose from. Mid South and Chattahoochee chapters.
If you have no place to keep birds and land available to train on then get the obedience training done then use a professional trainer.

Jetjockey

Big Red Oak plantation about an hour south.

Luda

Big Red Oak is where I take my dog. They have some great quail woods / fields and the birds fly great!
Thank you so much for the suggestions guys. I've just emailed Big Red Oak to learn more about the self guided hunt part. If you have anything you can share I'd really appreciate it, thank you.

casey0802

Burnt Pine Plantation outside of Madison, Ga. Daniel Morris has some of the Best GSP's around. He loves training and raising great dogs. He also loves helping others with their dogs...

ejrush1

Buckeyes Plantation out east of Atlanta in Jersey GA. A buddy and I have been taking our dogs out there to train and hunt for a few years now. I have 2 GSP's, male and female. (4 & 6 yrs old) and my buddy has a vizsla. Always great! About an hours drive. If you have any questions or want to chat about training, PM me.

Also FYI, the Mid South NAVHDA chapter does training days out there once a month on Saturday's, March - October typically.