Upper Chattahoochee Fly Question

cheeber

Banned
I'm not an avid fly fisherman, but I do have a fly rod that used to get some use (primarily stick to spinning reels). However, I will be staying at a cabin next weekend near River Bend Road and a couple miles north of Clarksville Hwy (115) on the Upper Chattahoochee and would like to get the fly rod out for a few hours. What flies/techniques will normally produce this time of year? Should I expect the fish to be very active?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
If I am thinking right...................that is a bit far south for trout fishing. There are probaly a few in the area there but not a bunch......... The better trout fishing is found above the alternate 255 bridge north. You should be able to catch some bass and bream on some spinners though...........

TRC

Not seeing to many trout now in the hooch in and around downtown Helen but have been seeing quite a few on the stretch of the hooch up by the wma checkstation just north of Helen. Yesterday there were a fair amount of trout in Smith's creek just below the dam in Helen and Smith's will be loaded next month when the delayed Harvest begins. I would fish a dry/nymph dropper rig with a parachute adams and either a pheasant tail or hairs ear dropping off the adams. Have fun!!

Tom

bowbuck

Yep not really trout water that far down the hooch, especially after the last couple of summers but there are lots of shoal bass, largemouth and spots as well as panfish. Poppers and streamers such as wollybuggers should get you in buisness with the flyrod. U want to use pretty heavy tippet for the bass as they take hard and will take your flies on light tippet on the strike. probably something like 3x (8lb ish) tippet. As said above smith creek and the upper chattahoochee in the wma will get you into trout, probably on dries and droppers since the water is so low you will get hung a lot nymphing. good luck

anglerEd

Yep not really trout water that far down the hooch, especially after the last couple of summers but there are lots of shoal bass, largemouth and spots as well as panfish. Poppers and streamers such as wollybuggers should get you in buisness with the flyrod. U want to use pretty heavy tippet for the bass as they take hard and will take your flies on light tippet on the strike. probably something like 3x (8lb ish) tippet. As said above smith creek and the upper chattahoochee in the wma will get you into trout, probably on dries and droppers since the water is so low you will get hung a lot nymphing. good luck

Are those shoal bass in the hooch, or are they red eyes? Or both?

bowbuck

There are shoal bass (black spot on the base of the tail), redeyes, spots and largemouth all in the upper hooch. I have actually saw all 4 caught out of one pool before.