Urban bucks

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Ok y’all tell he how easy it is to kill them urban bucks compared to country bucks. While you’re at it post pics of the urban bucks you’ve killed as proof

Killed an urban doe, but they don't count I guess. I saw several big bucks while sitting on my friends porch in Fayetteville a few years ago.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Ok y’all tell he how easy it is to kill them urban bucks compared to country bucks. While you’re at it post pics of the urban bucks you’ve killed as proof

How are you defining "urban"? In a big city?

I have killed a pile of suburban bucks. Never got one in the city.

When I rode Rescue 9 in Atlanta a saw a few down south of MLK on Fairburn Road.

James12

Say what one wants, Urban (neighborhood) deer hunting is different. Their number one defense is usually eliminated too - they SMELL people and laundry vents ALL DAY.
We watch bucks at my in-laws in Roswell like they’re squirrels. That’s not bashing the method of choice for those who’ve “harvested” the giants in this area, it’s completely legal. Getting permission and spending the time and money to make it happen is the “hunt”... kudos to those who have both and the resiliency to stick at it. Hearing 100 “No’s” to 1 yes can be humbling.

This buck chased a doe around the house and back through the yard as if he was in the WMA - with no care, all morning.

Attachments

• AD207877-CD2C-4779-947C-54F5039D4473.jpeg
    AD207877-CD2C-4779-947C-54F5039D4473.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 288

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I pick them off when they go to the Kroger store. The produce department is a good spot.

OleCountryBoy

I live next door to Peachtree City, not in the city limits but close enough to walk to town. Deer are running over the place, you have to shoo them off the golf cart paths, they just stand there and watch you, big bucks too.

Toliver

I used to hunt on a 5 acre tract in north Cobb County. Wasn't trying to get that big wall hanger. It was close and convenient to the house, I wanted meat for the freezer and that spot was overrun with deer so they needed to be thinned. I took several does from that property. Now to answer your question.... walking to the tree to hang a stand was liking walking into a petting zoo. The does would stand there and watch me and just keep their distance...just out of shooting distance. The bucks were as leery and easily spooked as any I've hunted in the middle of 10,000 acres in the middle of Talbot County. Never saw any huge bucks and never got a shot at any of the smaller ones that passed through. I did have to knock on the anti-hunter's door that lived next to the property to get permission to track one. At least she had the intelligence to say, "well, you've already shot it. Go find it." The rest I shot fell on the property I was hunting. I might hunt in one of the bow only counties again in the future but it'll be on a bigger piece of land. No way I'm hunting in someone's back yard again. Just does nothing for me in the "sporting" part of hunting.

James12

The bucks know when someone is in their hood. That’s why “in my opinion“ it’s easier the closer the house you get.

bany

They are all the same easy. Or is that all the same hard? Generally you gotta get closer to them in town but the backwoods deer tend to walk up on me. No rifles in urban town either. Last year a nice 8pt crawled in his den until February 6th?

Attachments

• F30C55D6-2432-4005-A41C-9FC68476CFC4.jpeg
    F30C55D6-2432-4005-A41C-9FC68476CFC4.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DF26BC5D-E801-469A-9C69-13BF3D207735.jpeg
    DF26BC5D-E801-469A-9C69-13BF3D207735.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 59

Timberman

My son was picking up trash in the woods with a landscape crew between an exit ramp and 575 and they pushed two out and they both got ran over on the exit ramp. Here’s pics of the big one. It was pretty easy2761BD9D-FF41-4C80-A834-E9FA6EB0A88F.jpeg

tree cutter 08

use to hunt downtown clarkesville several years ago. Never seen any monsters but a bunch of 3.5 and younger bucks. Never even had a big one on camera. I didn't like hearing all the noise. When I go hunting I like it to be quiet. They was easy to see and didn't mater what the wind was doing.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I've never hunted "urban" areas as I try to avoid "urban" areas like the plague.

But I've hunted right in the middle of a subdivision many times. Practically every lot has a feeder on it and the deer are acclimated to human activity. Many times I've watched deer go right on feeding and totally ignore people walking their dogs or bicycling right past them. Lawn mowers, leaf blowers, pool parties, cookouts, kids playing ball.... all of this going on all around and the deer don't care.

I know everyone has different experiences and can speak only from what they've seen, but based on what I've seen, I find it ridiculous to claim that urban deer are even remotely wary, much less claim that hunting them is the equivalent of hunting "wild" deer. It just isn't so.