Urban bucks

brownceluse

It's easy I watch videos of several groups on youtube and TV that kill 200 inch bucks every year. I can't think of the names right now but google suburban deer hunting on youtube and you'll see. It's like catching fish out of barrel from what I've seen. To me it looks like keeping them on a tenth of an acre after you kill them is the hardest problem.

KevChap

Banned
I'm not one to watch hunting shows because of all the hype. But I started watching the hunting public and those guys are very knowledgeable. If you wanna impress me instead of shooting somebody's pet in the middle of a city go out and consecutively kill big bucks on public land

hunter rich

I'm not one to watch hunting shows because of all the hype. But I started watching the hunting public and those guys are very knowledgeable. If you wanna impress me instead of shooting somebody's pet in the middle of a city go out and consecutively kill big bucks on public land

The hunting Public guys are amazing. They are all about public land hunting and recruiting and retaining hunters. Check out The Hunting Beast too. Also on YouTube is The Ranch Fairy for arrow/broadhead knowledge.

:cheers:

KevChap

Banned
The hunting Public guys are amazing. They are all about public land hunting and recruiting and retaining hunters. Check out The Hunting Beast too. Also on YouTube is The Ranch Fairy for arrow/broadhead knowledge.

:cheers:
I watch hunting beast a lot too.. took me a while to get use to the accent they all have though ??

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
To me it looks like keeping them on a tenth of an acre after you kill them is the hardest problem.

I had about 7 acres of hardwood Chattahoochee river bottom in S. Forsyth county...long and narrow, probably no more than about 100 yards to a house/golf course in one direction and 40 to the river in the other. In the span of 8 years, I shot 12 deer back there (including my personal best buck), and never had a single one leave the woods.

My experience is that I saw more deer (IMO, because I was in a natural funnel), but they were every bit as wary, as those down at deer camp.

brownceluse

I had about 7 acres of hardwood Chattahoochee river bottom in S. Forsyth county...long and narrow, probably no more than about 100 yards to a house/golf course in one direction and 40 to the river in the other. In the span of 8 years, I shot 12 deer back there (including my personal best buck), and never had a single one leave the woods.

My experience is that I saw more deer (IMO, because I was in a natural funnel), but they were every bit as wary, as those down at deer camp.

Yeah 7 acres is like 50 in a rural area.

ghadarits

I’ll have to scan a few 35mm pics and attach But here’s my take on it in the mean time. Suburban deer are more confined to where they can be in general but those areas are stretched out over a large area. In my area it wouldn’t surprise me one bit to see a particular buck 2-3 miles from evening to morning and back again the next night at any time of year. That’s how stretched out the habitat that they can utilize is. A buck or really any suburban deer could have lot more stretched out range than 2-3 miles. With that in mind the hunting is as difficult if you’re hunting a specific deer as any place I’ve hunted. I personally didn’t hunt a specific deer but a couple of times and was only successful once. You want to talk about easy to pattern deer go to the mid west. Once the crops are cut it’s not too hard to figure out where they’re hiding.
The pics I've attached are pics of pics sorry for the quality. They aint all record book monsters but all three are suburban deer killed in North Fulton near my residence at the time off of Roswell Rd near the Chattahoochee.

Attachments

• 1987 buck North Fulton.jpg
    1987 buck North Fulton.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 1988 buck North Fulton.jpg
    1988 buck North Fulton.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 1991 Buck North Fulton.jpg
    1991 Buck North Fulton.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

I used to hunt a long narrow strip in the city limits. 11 acres total. It was a business setting. I climbed a tree behind a steak house within 60-75 yards. There were only a handful of “ feed trees” spread out. . Huge water oaks. The hardest thing was to find a tree big enough to climb. A couple trees I could only get 6-8 feet off the ground with a climber. I killed a ton of deer in there. Doubled up on numerous sits. I killed mostly does and younger bucks. Often I watched deer feed hearing kids playing, doors slamming, keys rattling and horns blowing. The deer were conditioned enough to know it was not a threat. But scrape the bark on your tree or squeak a stand......they turned inside out and they would DD mow. The only time I saw mature bucks was during the chase part of the rut and well after dark. The backside of the strip was a wide open pasture. I watched deer walk thru there all times of the day. They were not stupid by no means, they knew how to survive in their environment, well until I started hunting there. These deer were no where near the size of the ones Seek One chase. But I’m a meat hunter.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Just ran across these pics. First one is my first urban buck:
first urban buck.JPG

This is my personal best to date, urban, also.
OAC buck.jpg

This is one I got on my trail cam second year I hunted there...looks wet, like he just swam the 'Hooch. Never saw him in person. He was a brute.
big10pt.JPG

Whit90

Getting out in the country is one the parts of hunting that I love. I don't really care to hunt urban. I could see how your odds could be better in urban areas though. pinch points and travel corridors could be more obvious. Possibly less pressure... use the neighbors bait pile in their back yard to your advantage... things like that could definitely help ones odds.

GRT24

Killed this one last nov. 7 acre tract in the industrial park so it’s archery only. I can see a dock door from my stand and hysters working. A few more are in there now. We just staying out until later on. County record came off the piece next to us which is about a 2 acre wooded lot. NWGA

Attachments

• 6106A806-4BAF-494B-96BE-4542DAD6A5C9.jpeg
    6106A806-4BAF-494B-96BE-4542DAD6A5C9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • 10F92BCC-3330-4AA9-99C2-5EDC0380F5D9.jpeg
    10F92BCC-3330-4AA9-99C2-5EDC0380F5D9.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 73

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Window up, window down. Photos were just taken in an area well known for foot travel and people. This deer Along with the 6 others in the group are half tame. Lots of moving and saying hey deer. Behavior doesn’t change as it is accustomed to the presence of people. Nothing to it, if I head to the mountain I will actually have to Hunt to get that close to one.

View attachment 1040355View attachment 1040356View attachment 1040357
I live in a neighborhood full of deer. Seen a couple giants over the years. The deer are used to people being where they’re supposed to be. Go out in the woods where they live and you’ll get a completely different reaction from the same “half tame” deer.

Jim Boyd

Gotta be amused now, at the semi-camouflaged haters.

The hate is there, you just gotta look a little more closely to see it.

jcofer

I have been hunting suburban deer most of my life even way back before baiting was legal. I would find it hard believe someone would think its easy? Putting in the time to harvest a mature buck on small tracts is no easy task! A lot of things have to come together for it to happen as we all know. My hats off to hunters that harvest mature bucks every year. Harvesting mature deer takes patience and discipline. All the deer in my avatar where taken on very small tracts - some less than 10 acres.

Different deer with different challenges. I have hunted and sometimes killed nice bucks on suburban, WMA, smalltrack, and large tracks of land. They all have their challenges.

While loading a deer having someone telling you can't shoot deer with a bow, on a doe day, in deer season, on private suburban land is just as aggravating as having some walk up on you in a WMA and insisting on climbing a tree next to you. I love a run on sentences. Lol

Ruger15

Ive killed a load of deer and prefer to hunt my clubs and my personal farm. Killing a mature buck on land you are managing just means more to me.... with that being said ive killed some really nice abnormally big city deer. The urban bucks Ive hunted are as smart as any other buck that I have targeted and most of the time I come up empty handed. They pattern you and know when you are there and they can ghost you in a sec if something seems off . Now does and younger bucks on the other hand are a different story its not to hard to limit out of big nannys. I personally dont shoot them. Its nice to have some where to slip into after a long day of work and unwind and slip home to the wife and kids and all are happy.