US Officials: Not Enough Troops To Fix Iraq

Thread starter #1
Almost no high-ranking, active-duty U.S. officers are willing to discuss their concerns about troop levels publicly, for fear of being reprimanded or having their careers cut short.There's an unwritten understanding, they said, that the Bush administration doesn't want to hear about the need for more troops.

The top U.S. military officer in Iraq, Gen. George W. Casey Jr., has said that such assertions are untrue. When ground commanders ask for more troops, according to Casey, they get them.

But the U.S. defense official in Iraq said officers were discouraged from making such requests, and officers in Washington, D.C., and at the military's Central Command confirmed that.

"They're not allowed to ask for more troops," the U.S. defense official in Iraq said. "If you say something you're gone, you're relieved, you're not in the Army anymore."

A number of senior military officials in the United States agreed.

"There's an overall feeling that if you ask for more you're going to get hammered," one said.

http://www.theolympian.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060730/NEWS/607300301/1001

Flash

dixie

ROFL, 14 of the 18 provinces in iraq are well under control and being rebuilt, roads, schools, hospitals, water and power plants, nobody mentions that, its not "newsworthy" and yes, more troops may be needed in those 4 provinces and if they are, they'll be redeployed from other areas in iraq, but only in those areas, just more left wing ** to hide the truth

FX Jenkins

"The US defense official in Iraq"....sounds like a legitimate source to someone grasping for blame....

SBG

It was Private 1st class Enrique Sanchez.

Thread starter #8
LOL. You can lead a horse to water...

Flash

Linwood can you give us some "facts"? How many were kicked out? Ranks?

SBG

Flash said:
Linwood can you give us some "facts"? How many were kicked out? Ranks?
Now you know that ain't fair Flash. That info won't be fabricated and on the Air America website until tomorrow.:rofl:

Thread starter #12
I don't know. I do konw that this administration has shown that it will not hesitate to punish those who question policy. There is no reason to doubt that a climate of fear exists in the military and among civilian government employees. All Bush has is fear itself.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Linwood said:
I don't know. I do konw that this administration has shown that it will not hesitate to punish those who question policy. There is no reason to doubt that a climate of fear exists in the military and among civilian government employees. All Bush has is fear itself.
Barbara Streisand

WTM45

Linwood said:
It is not fear, Linwood, it is called having respect for the chain of command. You have to have served to understand.
There are always things officers and enlisted want. It is about service to your country, not getting what you want whenever you want it. Comissioned and enlisted alike face annual performance reviews, bad ones improve or get canned.
I know firsthand of quite a few who questioned Clinton's policy and had their careers adjusted. Show me an administration that WILL NOT take charge of the military, and I will show you a man that is unfit for the position of Commander in Chief.
Nothing has changed. :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

Thread starter #15
Bush has said repeatedly the reason there aren't more troops in Iraq is that the commanders haven't asked for them. This article is not about not getting what you ask for, it's about being afraid to ask for what you need.

So which General Officers have been "canned" for asking for more troops? I'm anxious to hear their names.

WTM45

General Casey is the ONLY one in the position to ask the Pentagon or the President for a deployment of more ground troops, as he is the HMFIC in Iraq. You have his quote in front of you. The only officer quoted in the story. Lower level commanders go through the chain of command with their needs and requests. That has nothing to do with the administration's policy.

Thread starter #18
Right, but read the story.

The top U.S. military officer in Iraq, Gen. George W. Casey Jr., has said that such assertions are untrue. When ground commanders ask for more troops, according to Casey, they get them.

But the U.S. defense official in Iraq said officers were discouraged from making such requests, and officers in Washington, D.C., and at the military's Central Command confirmed that

WTM45

WTM45 said:
General Casey is the ONLY one in the position to ask the Pentagon or the President for a deployment of more ground troops, as he is the HMFIC in Iraq. You have his quote in front of you. The only officer quoted in the story. Lower level commanders go through the chain of command with their needs and requests. That has nothing to do with the administration's policy.
I read the article. It is just that, a story. READ AGAIN WHAT I SAID IN MY LAST POST. The only military officer quoted completely dispelled the whole premise of this article. And, without qualified factual quotes from clearly identified sources it is nothing. Spin.

Flash

Linwood said:
Who has been punished?
Climate of fear?? Are you or have you been in the service?

I served under both Bush's and Clinton and don't recall "fear" no matter if we agreed or disagreed with policy.