US Troops Describe Situation In Iraq

Thread starter #1

contender*

Senior Member
Looks like an article built entirely on statements taken out of context.
 

AAADawg

Senior Member
contender-6030 said:
Looks like an article built entirely on statements taken out of context.

In the middle of the second world war a Disney Animator who just so happened to find himself serving in the US military entered a cartoon contest in "YanK" magazine, an official publication of the US Army....keep that in mind...a magazine that was published by the US Army. His winning entry blossomed into one of the longest running comic book series of all time...from 1942 until the early 80's. SOmoe of ya'll will no doubt recall reading these very funny and very insightful cartoons. They were called "Sad Sack" and the whole idea was based on the greviances of an enlisted man serving in the US Army. They ran the gamut of Sad Sack complaining about the lack of decent food, pretty girls and even incompetance among the officers and the seeming lack of a co-hesive plan most of the time on the part of the whole establishment as a whole. It was understood then that soldiers, though not necessarily happy with their situation, did the job in spite of these problems. It was accepted and common knowlegde that soliders were disgruntled.....if they werent then chances are better than good that they were on leave!!! Now a days though we are supposed to beleive that the Soldiers in Iraq have no place on earth they would rather be and are completely and totally satisfied with the situation there. Any word of unhappiness from them is passed off as being taken out of context or soomeones "bashing" of the military. The only form of militray training I have is ROTC in High School But I know a lot of men who served and I have never met a single one who realized how much they enjoyed serving until after they had been out of the military for a while...this is true of most things that are life changing like High School and College...we dont appreciate how great they are until they are behind us. A disgruntled soldier isnt an attack against the US...a disgruntled soldier is a normal soldier. You dont have to be a genuis to know that the men and woman who are in Iraq would rather not be...but they have a job to do and will do it to the best of the ability no matter how unhappy they are....and that is what being a soldier is all about. Anyone who is happy and excited about placing their lives at stake every minute of every day is loop de loop.....most soldiers arent!
 

Flash

Senior Member
AAADawg said:
In the middle of the second world war a Disney Animator who just so happened to find himself serving in the US military entered a cartoon contest in "YanK" magazine, an official publication of the US Army....keep that in mind...a magazine that was published by the US Army. His winning entry blossomed into one of the longest running comic book series of all time...from 1942 until the early 80's. SOmoe of ya'll will no doubt recall reading these very funny and very insightful cartoons. They were called "Sad Sack" and the whole idea was based on the greviances of an enlisted man serving in the US Army. They ran the gamut of Sad Sack complaining about the lack of decent food, pretty girls and even incompetance among the officers and the seeming lack of a co-hesive plan most of the time on the part of the whole establishment as a whole. It was understood then that soldiers, though not necessarily happy with their situation, did the job in spite of these problems. It was accepted and common knowlegde that soliders were disgruntled.....if they werent then chances are better than good that they were on leave!!! Now a days though we are supposed to beleive that the Soldiers in Iraq have no place on earth they would rather be and are completely and totally satisfied with the situation there. Any word of unhappiness from them is passed off as being taken out of context or soomeones "bashing" of the military. The only form of militray training I have is ROTC in High School But I know a lot of men who served and I have never met a single one who realized how much they enjoyed serving until after they had been out of the military for a while...this is true of most things that are life changing like High School and College...we dont appreciate how great they are until they are behind us. A disgruntled soldier isnt an attack against the US...a disgruntled soldier is a normal soldier. You dont have to be a genuis to know that the men and woman who are in Iraq would rather not be...but they have a job to do and will do it to the best of the ability no matter how unhappy they are....and that is what being a soldier is all about. Anyone who is happy and excited about placing their lives at stake every minute of every day is loop de loop.....most soldiers arent!
Pretty good post.
 
Thread starter #6
Army troops in and around Baghdad interviewed in the last week cite a long list of evidence that the center of the nation is coming undone: Villages have been abandoned by Sunni and Shiite Muslims; Sunni insurgents have killed thousands of Shiites in car bombings and assassinations; Shiite militia death squads have tortured and killed hundreds, if not thousands, of Sunnis; and when night falls, neighborhoods become open battlegrounds.

"There's one street that's the dividing line. They shoot mortars across the line and abduct people back and forth," said 1st Lt. Brian Johnson, a 4th Infantry Division platoon leader from Houston, describing the nightly battleground that pits Sunni gunmen from the Ghazaliyah neighborhood against Shiite gunmen from the Shula district.



Staff Sgt. Wesley Ramon had a similar assessment while on patrol between the Sunni town of Abu Ghraib and Shula, a Shiite stronghold. The main bridge leading out of Shula was badly damaged recently by four bombs placed underneath it. Military officials think the bombers were Sunnis trying to stanch the flow of Shiite militia gunmen coming out of Shula to kill Sunnis.

"It's to the point of being irreconcilable; you know, we've found a lot of bodies, entire villages have been cleared out, we get reports of entire markets being gunned down - and if that's not a marker of a civil war, I don't know what is," said Ramon, 33, of San Antonio, Texas.


Driving back to his base, Johnson watched a long line of trucks and cars go by, packed with families fleeing their homes with everything they could carry: mattresses, clothes, furniture, and, in the back of some trucks, bricks to build another home.

"Every morning that we head back to the patrol base, this is all we see," Johnson said. "These are probably people who got threatened last night."
 

dixie

Senior Member
A Lt and and a Sgt< lin, thats a LONG way down from senior ranks
 

dbone

Outdoor Cafe Moderator
dixie said:
A Lt and and a Sgt< lin, thats a LONG way down from senior ranks

They can't be all Defense Secretarys like you Donald :rofl: :rofl: , er um I mean Dixie , Your retorts are getting mighty weak :huh: dang are you Rummy ? :rofl: :rofl:
 

WTM45

Senior Member
Almost every individual soldier gets no glimpse of the big picture during their involvement in a war because they are only given a small part in the overall assignment.

You do not think American troops who saw the French pushed out of France, the Austrians pushed out of Austria, the Russians fleeing occupied Russia, the English hiding from German bombs and rockets, the Polish starving to death, the concentration camps and prisons and those brave grunts who witnessed death marches and mass murders in the Philipines were not also worried?

IT IS WAR. IT IS NOT PRETTY.
 
Linwood,

You've finally done it. This article has finally changed me. I agree we should pull our troops out. I say we show them our urine soaked pink bellies and beg for forgiveness, then sulk home.

We can finally begin to work on things that really matter to civilization, like whether or not two dudes can marry.

T
 
There's no plan - we are constantly reacting," said a senior American military official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "I have absolutely no idea what we're going to do."
Maybe because you're an idiot and they don't WANT you to know.

T
 

dixie

Senior Member
dbone said:
They can't be all Defense Secretarys like you Donald :rofl: :rofl: , er um I mean Dixie , Your retorts are getting mighty weak :huh: dang are you Rummy ? :rofl: :rofl:
You didn't serve did you D?, Don't answer, its not a big deal if you didn't and that wasn't meant as a "cut" in any form. the ones who did fully understand just how far down the line a Lt is. I've learned when I see the word anonymity, its either a lie or somebody's tee'd off at someone or something.
 
Throwback said:
Linwood,

You've finally done it. This article has finally changed me. I agree we should pull our troops out. I say we show them our urine soaked pink bellies and beg for forgiveness, then sulk home.

We can finally begin to work on things that really matter to civilization, like whether or not two dudes can marry.

T
Well what about the minimum wage TB? That's important too!:biggrin2:
 
Top