use for small antlers

gadeerwoman

Just an idea I'll throw out there for using some smaller antlers, shed or otherwise. Haven't done it but seen some other folks have done and they look really good. Take some small pieces of wood, sand, stain or even woodburn a design. Make a cross from them. Then add small antlers to it. Makes a great indoor or even porch piece of cool artwork.

Redbow

I have made a nut for a guitar from small antlers, works good and takes some practice to get it right.

Anvil Head

I try to use everything but the stink from sanding/grinding. Still, I seem to accumulate a lot of scrap that I'm sure I won't, if anyone is interested and wants to come by and pick some up. Drop me a pm and we'll see what we can work out.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Tips make good "buttons" for frog closures on things.

In my previous life (first marriage) I did a piece of artwork with small antlers. Our kitchen sink had a window above it with a trim piece at top of that to finish off the cabinets on each side and to conceal a light there. That trim was pretty plain so I decided to liven it up a bit. The goal was to cover it completely with woven bits of smaller antlers. I used whole antlers all the way down to tips that were cut off of poorly formed or damaged racks. I would drill small holes in the antler pieces and then use very small finish nails to hold them in place.

When I began the project I didn't have enough antlers to flesh out my idea all at once so I did it a little at a time as material became available and I kept it as symmetrical as I could so that it would always look finished. About 15 years or so into the project I was invited to leave. It wasn't finished but I was it seems. I have been gone for over 20 years now and it is still there, one of the very few marks of mine left in that house. I don't know whether she likes it or it is just too much trouble to remove. LOL

gunnurse

For just tip pieces, drill then into the rear end of wizard’s wands. To simulate sabertooth tiger fangs.