Usfs foothills collaborative

SWbowhunter

Hey folks. I have been involved with the USFS Foothills Collaboration for a year now. This is a planning process on about 143,000 acres of Chattahoochee National Forest. If you hunt this area, I am sure you are aware of the need for more active management (timber harvest, Rx Fire, etc.). Hopefully many of you have already been involved and made comments on the website. If not, there is still time. I have included links below to the project area map and an interactive map that will allow you drop a pin and provide general or very specific comments. If you do not hunt in this area, we still need you! Help send a clear show of support for active management. I assure you the forest preservationists will be heard loud and clear. The USFS is entering the proposal development stage. These proposals will come out in the next few weeks and will need sportsman supporting the active management proposals, asking for more where appropriate, and challenging protectionist elements of the proposals where appropriate. This could result in 10,000+ acres of timber thinning and other harvests. The USFS needs to know Georgia sportsman are behind this effort. I will use this forum thread to keep you aware of when and where to comment over the few weeks. Check out the links below and comment as long as it will allow you. Thanks for supporting active management on Chattahoochee National Forest!
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd514948.pdf <-project area map

https://www.communityremarks.com/conf/index.php -interactive map to provide comments that will be considered during proposal development

NCMTNHunter

This is where the rubber meets the road. USFS has been developing it's 20 year plan on the NC side through the collaborative process for a couple years now. If you are not happy with how USFS lands have been managed this is the time for sportsman to steer the ship. For the first time I know of sportsman have been showing up to the meetings and flooding the channels with comments and it is making a difference in the draft plans we have seen so far. Show up and speak up.