USS Mississippi

Anvil Head

I was fortunate to have a customer commission 4 knives to be made from salvaged decking off the USS Mississippi. His Grandfather served on her during WWII and was in the last big gun sea battle between ships in Surigao Strait and Leyte Gulf. It was quite the battle and worth looking up. My father actually help with post battle rescue in a PBY.

It is quite an honor to get to handle and use parts/materials from our history. Could still smell and feel the sealing oils while working the wood. I've done several projects like this and it's always humbling to me to honor those that served so bravely.

The handles and stands are made from the teak decking and I salvaged a structural anchor bolt/nut stuck in the planking, to use in the stands. Navy dress buttons were just in hand so I used them as well. Blades are forged from OSB (old saw blade). He is going to have them engraved and gift out to his family.
USS Miss 4.jpgUSS Miss 5.jpgUSS Miss 7.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is awesome!

turkeykirk

Cool!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Those are true treasures. The mighty Mississippi rolls on!

wvdawg

Staff member
Sweet!

Bkeepr

those will become family treasures

Redbow

Outstanding work with those knives Anvil.

Anvil Head

Have always enjoyed these kinds of projects. Got to do two large bowies from salvage of the USS Arizona before they let her be. Also teak planking, steel and red brass. The steel was not hi-carb but these were presentation pieces so it didn't matter. Made them for a Master Chief who led one of the salvage crews. He has passed, no idea where the knives are. Back before digi-cams so no pics.
Was a great honor for sure. He flew out here from AZ to pick them up and pay me at the age of 80+. Wouldn't take his money, but did let him buy me a nice steak dinner and a had great evening of listening to his stories.
Worst part of doing these is the fear of messing up non replaceable materials.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Art and History, a couple of my favorite subjects. It doesn't get much better than your example of both above.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Wow.

Anvil Head

Here they are after customer had them engraved. New owners loved them. Engraver did a very fine job.~b024739.jpeg