VAST SOLAR PANEL FIELDS

Oldstick

There are a few vast areas just outside of Butler that have been converted, with more in the works. Kinda sad.
I've seen those for the last few years and I used to live in Taylor County. I think that used to be thousands of acres of peach orchards. Another location is west of Cairo, GA which used be acres of a plant nursery. I agree, sad. Unless I eventually get proven wrong and it turns out a great benefit to us all. Doubt that though with the current technology we have.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I would think that solar would be better on a house by house basis instead of huge fields of solar cells. It appears to me that these solar farms are just a "feel good" plan by power companies to sell "green" power so they can tell us how much they care about the environment in their radio and tv commercials. When solar becomes more efficient, I think home solar will be the way to go, at least where the amount of sunlight allows it.

blakely

I used to hunt a place between Blakely and Arlington. Some of the best hunting anywhere with some pretty woods. I found lots of points there too.

The place has been clear cut and is a solar farm now. Turned that place into an ugly mess.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
one if them places probably couldn’t power a plug in cigarette lighter

oldguy

I've seen those for the last few years and I used to live in Taylor County. I think that used to be thousands of acres of peach orchards. Another location is west of Cairo, GA which used be acres of a plant nursery. I agree, sad. Unless I eventually get proven wrong and it turns out a great benefit to us all. Doubt that though with the current technology we have.
Used to work at Wight's Nursery back in the late 80s. Sad to hear.

oldguy

I used to hunt a place between Blakely and Arlington. Some of the best hunting anywhere with some pretty woods. I found lots of points there too.

The place has been clear cut and is a solar farm now. Turned that place into an ugly mess.
It looks like the cost of site prep alone would be prohibitive. Guess not watching them clear 1k acres in Terrell County, much of which was in young (never been thinned) planted pines. There was a hunting club on that site as well. It's on high ground above a creek - bet there were artifacts out there!

greg j

Zedex, i curious, did your daughter get an A for the report. Sounds like she did a good and fair appraisal of the subject.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I saw one of these new Solar energy farms yesterday being installed and was located north of Statesboro on Hwy 25. I had to do a double-take when I saw it because it was not there just a couple of months ago.

I have been used to the huge ones located in the area of Butler, Georgia along highway 96. For several years, those rolling hill pastures was some of the most beautiful country with open area/fields that you can see for a country mile.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Run me about 7 miles of extension cords through the woods to one of them farms and get me some free power.

:banana::bounce:

blakely

Funny thing is, around here, a lot of people were all excited thinking the solar panels on Hwy 62 were gonna lower power bills in Blakely. Bunch of them got mad when word got around that the power from the Early County panels was going to Atlanta.

Now, I will say that I have no idea where the power is going. I just know that there were some disappointed people around town when word got around that local power bills would not be going down.

Big7

The Oracle
Let’s cut down trees or clog up fields with a bunch of non disposable, un recyclable. crap. Brought to you by people who preach about the environment.

EXACTLY.. Stripping viable crop land is such a shame. Especially the 1000 acre farm in the OP....

I've only seen one field of solar panels. Tens of acres, not thousands. It just didn't look right to me and don't even remember where it was, except I know it was in Georgia.

I have seen MASSIVE windmills in Indiana, both sides of I-65, as far as you can see and a stretch of highway 20+ miles long.

Then when we got to Chicago, our traning instructor said that is was indeed MANY miles longer than you could see. It's been 12 years so I don't really know how many miles east and west. I do remember it being a shocking number.

Please don't allow the greenies to have all those ugly solar panels and windmills installed here.

They would make ZERO dollars and without goober*ment subsidies, their wouldn't be any standing in the free market.
Just my 2 cents.