Vectan Powders ...

BriarPatch99

Changing the primer from sp to spm with CFE Pistol only reflects a 50fps difference with the same powder charge over the radar we use. I can't imagine an inch in a pistol barrel creating the same change as an inch in a rifle barrel. Book data is the results of what they found with what they used hopefully giving you a starting point for what you "might" find with yours. It isn't or shouldn't be viewed as "Hammered In Stone"

When looking at their data...I try to find the most velocity with the least amount of pressure. Just because the velocity is high doesn't meant the pressure isn't too, so I don't just look at velocity. I am not one for running compressed loads and hotrodding but I will push things if there are no pressure signs and it looks like a little more velocity will reach the next accuracy node in rifles. In pistols I don't seem to do that as much.

The additional 1/2" of barrel really shows on cartridges like the 357 SIG ... For one it operates at near 40,000 Psi .....

BriarPatch99

Hodgdon has supplied some data which is not in their web data ....( I asked for additional data) ....

With the right data ......right powder ......I can get a Hornady 124 XTP up to 1500 fps without going beyond SAMMI pressure limits .... I will admit they are Full Loads... But are closer to factory ammo that Federal supplied when the SIG first come out ....

Just so Mr. Hotrod ....know this is not "hotrod" . ...this is using a combo of powders and bullet s that are SAMMI ..... Hot rod is going beyond....

rosewood

I have shot quite a few of the HAP bullets .....they shoot just as well or better for me ....I think they are .356" verses . 355" . ....but shooting the same powder charge ...have not seen anything problem ....May be a few added velocity.....

Both the XTP and HAP are harder to find lately ....

Yeah, when I first bought the 124 HAP, I scratched my head over the diameter, but the chronograph didn't indicate any difference. No idea why they made it fatter. They didn't do the same with the .40 for some reason.

Everything is hard to find these days for sure. I have a bit of a stash to keep me afloat until the storm blows over.

Rosewood

rosewood

:) I didn't say it didn't...I don't have as much experience with pistol as rifle..just I couldn't imagine...maybe I should have since the primer changes so much.
I think it is about relativity. 1" in a 5" barrel is a whole lot bigger increase than 1" in a 20" barrel. Makes a bigger difference over the chrony for sure.

BriarPatch99

:) I didn't say it didn't...I don't have as much experience with pistol as rifle..just I couldn't imagine...maybe I should have since the primer changes so much.

I think that in the 357 SIG ...it is because such a high intensity round and any barrel
increase just really shows up ....

Think about the .45 ACP ..... Add 1/2" to a barrel and you may be able to measure ....maybe.

But think about .308 verses say a .257 WB..... cut the barrel of both .....what a difference there will be .....

Also got to think where the action is in what section of the barrel .... the first few inches is were the "burning" takes place ... After that it is really just gas expansion ...

BriarPatch99

Yeah, when I first bought the 124 HAP, I scratched my head over the diameter, but the chronograph didn't indicate any difference. No idea why they made it fatter. They didn't do the same with the .40 for some reason.

Everything is hard to find these days for sure. I have a bit of a stash to keep me afloat until the storm blows over.

Rosewood

I had bought quite a few of TJ Convera bullets (no idea who makes them) for my .380 acp ....they look close to the XTP 90 grain .355 ....shoot like the XTP .....ordered back when cheap.... Got some RMR for 9 mm and 357 SIG .....124 MPR

rosewood

I had bought quite a few of TJ Convera bullets (no idea who makes them) for my .380 acp ....they look close to the XTP 90 grain .355 ....shoot like the XTP .....ordered back when cheap.... Got some RMR for 9 mm and 357 SIG .....124 MPR

I actually have had good luck with the Lee 124 Truncated cone mold. I powder coat them and so far, they have shot great in 357sig and 9mm. Got lazy and haven't casted in awhile. Might have to fire up the pots if the panic continues much longer.

Rosewood

Liberty

Love my Glock 31 in 357 SIG ......

Just waiting on that old fat doe to step to the corn pile ...... 147 grain Hornady at 1340+fps using 800x ....yeah it measure every drop .....but I had plenty of time....

I haven't done much with that load, but Longshot is great in 10, .40, and 9, if you get the hankering to try something that meters a little better. I don't get too brave with my .357 conversion barrel.

doomtrpr_z71

Longshot is my preferred powder for 357sig as well, just a word of advice if midway gets truncated cone flat point 357 sig 95gr frangible components back in stock, stay away there is a reason they are so cheap, they like to break off.