Vent Rib Welds and Accuracy

gtb3440

I have a Stoeger M3500 that I use for turkey hunting. I killed a turkey 2 weeks ago in Mississippi with it, but I noticed later that the welds on the vent rib have broken off in 3-4 spots. I target shot it 3 times yesterday (in a secure bracket) and all of the shots at 20 yards were 4-6 inches left of the bullseye. The vent rib does have a slight bow where the welds are broken but the bead seems to lines up correctly at the muzzle.
Before I convert it into a boat anchor I'm asking if anyone has had a similar issue that was corrected. I can take it to a local welder and have it re-welded if that might help or I was thinking if I put on front and rear sights like a TruGlo Magnum 3 dot sight that may solve it.
I'm guessing I had just enough pellets in the kill zone to drop that turkey.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I wish I had returned mine. New out the box it shot to the left and a little high. Figured that how new gun were. I put a shot gun scope on it. Dialed it in. Shoots dead on but if u look thru the scope and see the bead on the end u can tell the bead is off.
Killed every turkey I shot at with that scope.
I heard someone else had the same thing new. Shipped out back. It came back shooting straight.
Anyway I gave a scoped turkey gun. My friends shoots perfect.

fauxferret

If this is your only shotgun, wait until you limit out or finish Turkey season. Then send it to Stoeger have it warranty repaired and then sell it and upgrade.

I have always been biased against Turkish guns for reasons like this. I have sent many a Stoeger back for warranty repair. I understand that they are backed by Beretta under the Benelli Umbrella but they are what they are.

Shotgun barrels have to be lightweight due to the nature of what they are, shotgun barrel pressures are extremely lower than most handgun and rifle cartridges. Inherently they are more susceptible to damage. I would also advise against having a local welder weld on it. This will void the warranty and you will be out of pocket.

Yes Stoegers come with a 5 year warranty, they will still fix it out of the 5 year window. You will just have to pay to ship it back. If its within the 5 year window call them and ask for a RA # and a shipping label.

Big7

The Oracle
Take it or ship it to JMF welding in Dacula.
Talk to Jim French. I trained him over 30 years ago. He is the best.

He has a laser welding machine that can fix it with very low heat and thus no damage. More like a lab rather than a shop.

PS.. If the 2 welds on the muzzle end are intact, the bead should still be in the same place??

Last edited: