Vertical Jigging

crackerdave

I would like to share a trick I use that may help you catch more fish.

Put a slip bobber on your line,then tie on your jig.You can throw it out a good distance because of the weight of the the bobber,even with a very small jig.
Watch the float carefully,as the fish often bite while the jig is sinking.Give it a twitch,and watch the bobber as the jig sinks back to the bottom.If you see it move more than what the jig makes it move as the jig falls,set the hook!

Cmp1

BANNED
I would like to share a trick I use that may help you catch more fish.

Put a slip bobber on your line,then tie on your jig.You can throw it out a good distance because of the weight of the the bobber,even with a very small jig.
Watch the float carefully,as the fish often bite while the jig is sinking.Give it a twitch,and watch the bobber as the jig sinks back to the bottom.If you see it move more than what the jig makes it move as the jig falls,set the hook!
Do you use a curly tail?

Doog

I believe the mountain folk call this "float and fly"... supposedly deadly for smallmouth and spots in the dead of winter. I've only tried it once and didnt do too well.

j_seph

Dang I thought you were talking about vertical jigging for cats. Now that is some excitement, jigging and have a 50 pound cat grab hold!!!!

Cmp1

BANNED
I really want to hit the white bass run with Bat,,,,never caught one and he says they fight great,,,,

BeerThirty

That is a good tip. I used to vertical jig all the time for walleyes growing up. Jig head tipped with a minnow, but that's from a boat and a trolling motor is a must. Nice tip if you don't have a boat.

Cmp1

BANNED
It would be so great to fish with you guys and do a fish fry,,,,and definitely I'd get to see Franklin,,,,

Bream Pole

yes, great method for crappie