Very great and precious promises

StriperAddict

Part of a continuation of a study in Ephesians 1:4-6. For encouragement purposes ;)
------------------------
Now let’s pick up Ephesians 1 at verse 4.
4-6 “For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.”

Many people balk at the idea that we who have been born again are holy and blameless, but scripture boldly makes that statement. Father chose us (all who will believe, according to John 3:16) in Jesus Christ before the foundation of the world. He chose that we should be holy and without blame before Him, or as the NIV says, “in His sight.”

Some would assert that this is talking about our state at some future time. That we will be holy and blameless when we all get to heaven. That idea is untenable to me for two reasons. First, we are in Christ and Christ is in us. Scripture is abundantly clear on this point. Second, we are talking here about how God sees us.

This raises questions in my mind. First, if our new spirit is not holy and blameless how can we be in Christ, how can Christ be in us, and how can we be said to be one spirit with God, as 1 Corinthians 6:17 tells us we are? Can anything imperfect exist in Christ? The answer is “no” because if there were any imperfection in Him, He would cease to be God.

Second, and this is something that bothered me as a young boy, if God sees us as holy and blameless but we are not actually holy and blameless, are we saying that God is faking Himself out? That is an idea I simply cannot swallow.

Consequently, I am convinced that we are indeed holy and blameless at the core of our being right this very moment.

The next wonderful blessing Father has given is adoption as His own children. Adoption makes us part of His family. Spiritual rebirth seals the deal by causing us to share in His nature. 2 Peter 1:4 (NIV) makes this point in saying, “…he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature…” Additionally, John points out in 1 John 3:9 that God’s seed is in us.

We are the children of God, not just in name, but in likeness. 1 John 4:17 (NIV)tells us, “This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus.” As God’s children who carry God’s seed, we inherit godly traits. These include things such as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control. You know; the fruit of the Spirit.

Grace and peace to you.
From
LarryEiss.com