Very old fence post

Shadow11

I apologize for coming in here and asking a bunch newbie questions about wood, but what is the best way to get this old fence post out. I think it's time to get it, or else it's just gonna fall over and rot.

I'm 40, and this place was grown up with huge trees, back then when my dad brought me here as a lil boy to catch hornyheads out of the creek. If I had to guess, it must be at least 70 yrs old.

There are 4 of these posts still stlanding, and this one has a lot of neat features. Should I try to dig down as far as possible? Should I leave a lot of the old wire?

Screenshot_2021-01-19-11-07-05.pngScreenshot_2021-01-19-11-07-28.pngScreenshot_2021-01-19-11-07-13.png
Pic above is rear side

Shadow11

I finally went and got it. After getting hands on it, it's definitely an old pine stump that was growing when the wire was attached. It's almost impossible to guess age. I know it was there long before I was around.

It actually pulled right out with no digging. Had a nice chunk of wood under ground. Looks they rewired it at some point. Pretty neat how the wood remained, where the wire passed through. I just now hosed off the dirt from the bottom.
Any ideas for what to do with it?

Also, here's a nearby oak with the same wire going through it....

Screenshot_2021-01-19-13-37-38.pngScreenshot_2021-01-19-13-37-20.pngScreenshot_2021-01-19-13-36-57.pngScreenshot_2021-01-19-13-32-41.png

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is a cool piece of wood for sure. Would be nice to put some taxidermy on or something.

wvdawg

Staff member
Yep - fine set up for some squirrel mounts! Or flying duck!

Last edited:

Razor Blade

That is cool, funny how nature works on stuff aint it.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I got one that is actually an old farm fence post when it was my Papaw's farm. It's an Old creosote post so still very solid, but older than me @ 64 now. I left all of the strands of barbed wire that was on it, but wrapped each one around the post where they were stapled on and put it back in the ground near a dwarf Japanese Maple and a small vegetable garden in my Landscape. Like I said though this was just an old post, not an old tree trunk like you have there.

It's definitely worth finding a use for it in my opinion.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I have a very similar piece that I was eyeballing a few weeks ago. I saw a pine stump about chest high with clear signs of being sawn down and limbs sawed off. I didn't recall doing it, then upon further inspection, saw the old barbed wire and realized it was an old fence post. Has to be at least 70 years old. No one has lived on this property since the 1950s.

Redbow

There used to be a good sized pine tree close to Marion SC many decades ago with a wood stake thru it. I stopped and looked at that pine with the stake thru it many times and just wondered how it got to be there. It could still be there today I haven't been in that area for many years now.

Yeah that old stump with the barbed wire is real cool, nice find.

Havana Dude

Cool stuff. I have a good size live oak at my place that has a piece of barbed wire dang near in the center of it. I would love to know when it was put there.

Last edited:

GeorgiaGlockMan

I love old wood.

Here is a juniper or cedar trunk i cut out after it died a year+ ago.

I have had it in a 30% rh room for a year drying it out trying to get the bark to peel.

Gonna take it back outside this spring and soak it for a week and then back in the vault to see if that helps.

When done, I plan to satin clear coat it and put it on a shelf and hang hunting "nick-nacks" on it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210216-184706_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210216-184706_Gallery.jpg
    747.4 KB · Views: 29