Veterans Day Hunt

Poynor

This Veterans Day hunt was a special hunt to me. I had the time to set and reflect on all the brothers in arms that I’ve come to know and the ones we have lost over the years. There are several warriors I would give anything to have setting next to me in this stand site. I found myself setting in a really thick area one that I’ve never been in before. I started scouting the area around 1200 and like what I seen several rubs and what seemed to be a scrape that was freshly work but who really knows. I usually just climb but this time I was in no hurry so I just stopped and listen to the woods. And there was one water oak dropping acorns at a pretty good rate. I went to it and look for signs of deer feeding, no real sign but it had several trails all around it and that hot scrape was 15 yards away. I climbed that water oak and settle in for the afternoon. At 1700 I heard a deer behind me and I didn’t even look I just stood up and slow turn while prepping for the shot and sure enough a nice buck was perfect broad side and vitals where clear. The only issue was that I was in a quality deer management area and they have to have 4 points or more on one side and for the life of me I couldn’t id the 4 points I need to shoot. So I let him walk at about 20 yards he clear into a small hole and I could see his left side was all jacked up points going everywhere in all direction right side was a perfect main frame 4. 20 yards is stretching it for me so I let him easy away. After he was gone I just sat there thinking man so close but what a blessing to have a good buck so close. Well I was packing up fixing to head home to the Poynor’s Veterans Day BBQ and I heard a clapping sound several times it sounded like someone out in the woods clapping at me with gloves on. Then walking a big pig. He was 20 yards and closing. He would stop and shake his head and those big ears was slapping he head making that noise. At 15 yards I let the woodsman eat and blew through near side shield and he ran off without making a noise at all. I thought I heard him crash but wasn’t sure. I took several compass reading and got down for the tracking job. I had blood at hit site and ran good blood all the way to him. He went maybe 75 yards if that. I called my family and they came to help with the recovery. Got home ate BBQ and put a hog in the freezer. What a Veterans Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  photo IMAG2239_zpstzw0v1eg.jpg  photo IMAG2248_zps997t0fzi.jpg photo IMAG2249_zpscptvmwxw.jpg

Jake Allen

Great hunt, good story and ending. Congratulations man.

charlie 2 arrow

Congrats on a great hunt, thanks for taking us along!

Barebowyer

Well done, congrats! I cheated in the PM and shot two does with a firearm on video for my GF's family freezer. They lost several deer to a vandalized meat cooler at their processor! Well done!

Stump Shooter

Way to go, that feeling of watching one walk off and enjoying the encounter is a lot better than the feeling you would have had if you would have stretched the shot and made a bad hit. Nice pig and good job!