Vikings of Lanier

Anvil Head

Finished up another Seax. I call this one the "Lanier" due to the handle being bog oak from the bottom of Lake Lanier - fence post from the old farmstead flooded out at the junction of Chesstatee & Chattahoochee. It's three inches longer than the original artifact Nordic blade. Blade is OSB, fittings are from a bronze boat prop, and sheath outer skin is from a leather couch cushion. Waste not want not. Enjoy
(Now I just got to find one of them "Lizard Boats" to find it a home.)

Nordic Knife.jpgSeax2.jpgSeax2b.jpgSeax2c.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Wow!

Dr. Strangelove

Beautiful!

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Very neat how you repurposed all of those materials, and the finished product is awesome, too!

wvdawg

Staff member
Mighty fine!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
That thing is NICE!

Anvil Head

Thanks everyone. At my age I have accumulated plenty of recyclable materials. Always plenty to work with, so I have a lot of fun putting them to use (again). My Dad grew up during the Depression so he kind of instilled in me the scrounging, hoarding attitude. Wife's been trying to break me of it for the past 49+ years, but I think she's softening.
Anyway, friend of mine showed me a Nordic blade dug up in the Scandinavian area, purported to be Viking Seax design. Intrigued with the shape, I studied up a bit to make one similar in traditional styling best I could. It is a very utilitarian side knife that also works well as a fighter. Somewhat scary in the right hands.
Not my normal style to make or forge, but a very interesting challenge of skills.

gunnurse

ZAT. Zat all ya got. ::ke:::ke:

Very, very nice work. I’m jealous of your work. But, this product took years and years to perfect, didn’t it.

Anvil Head

Yes, but I'm still learning. Kool thing is at my age, I look back at some work I did 15/20 years ago and wonder - how'd I do that? Love a good challenge, so off I go to the forge and the finish shop to learn it all over again.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Very nice design and knife

Duff

That is a thing of beauty!! Wow!

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
That's right up my alley.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Beeeeeeuteeefullll Work!!!