Voting Ballot on January GON issue

Wayne D Davis

would you call the urban and suburban areas in the north east that hold a large turkey population ,great habitat ??
The great habitats I'm speaking of are a mix of various stages growth of pines, oaks, cut overs with prescribed burning. And the wma I hunt has it all. North west 30 miles from Atlanta

Wayne D Davis

Turkey need areas to breed feed and hide. I doubt many do much trapping on the wma. It's doable with a special use permit tho

Swamprat

Swamprat
A guy that has a few thousand acres next to a property I hunt for turkeys always seems to burn late April just when hens are starting to nest. They do not turkey hunt on that property but has maybe 5 folks who deer hunt it and he has a quail operation on it as well. Anyway the late April burning just ticks me off burning that late.

I know him well and asked him one time why don't you burn in January or February like most folks and his answer is I don't want to upset my deer and quail hunters. My response was well the cooked turkey eggs thank you.

If timber companies did more habitat management the results would be ten fold. Burning is the cheapest and one of the most effective tools to utilize but they don't want to fool with it. They just want to grow trees and take lease money to pay the taxes on that land.

You can have a hundred of well managed acres surrounded by thousands of acres of mismanaged land and you will see no benefit for your efforts when it comes to turkeys. Turkeys will not inhabit acres upon acres of planted pines with a gallberry/blackberry jungle in between trees.

Whit90

Turkey need areas to breed feed and hide. I doubt many do much trapping on the wma. It's doable with a special use permit tho

See attached. This is what came with the WMA trapping permit application I received from the GA DNR. It is possible to trap on WMAs, but you are limited to where, what, and when. The date and species limitations seem like it would make trapping with the intentions of controlling a predator population difficult. Once you take a few out in the allowed time periods, more predators will move in to fill the void. In other words, you cant stay after em' like you would need to to be effective.

Attachments

• WMA Trapping Permit Application.pdf
    290.3 KB · Views: 2

Wayne D Davis

See attached. This is what came with the WMA trapping permit application I received from the GA DNR. It is possible to trap on WMAs, but you are limited to where, what, and when. The date and species limitations seem like it would make trapping with the intentions of controlling a predator population difficult. Once you take a few out in the allowed time periods, more predators will move in to fill the void. In other words, you cant stay after em' like you would need to to be effective.
Extremely limited. Better off to despatch with whatever weapon is legal during whatever season. Trapping on wma's don't do diddly it seems.

Buckman18

20200119_091310.jpg

Another bandit this morning. This one wont be eating any more scrambled turkey eggs...

Btw, thats 3 grinners and 2 bandits in a week, and the cage hasn't moved.

Buckman18

Nice. You check traps everyday?

I do here. These are on a patch of private land near the house I hunt. Ive also caught 2 cats, I let them go because I was afraid they belonged to someone (had sardines in the trap those nights).

If you feed deer on private land, theres a good chance youre also feeding coons and possums, and often a good place to set cages is near the feed. Creeks and branches are other spots i like.

Last edited:

Buckman18

Why catch them. Just feed them and they wont have to look for turkey eggs or young birds.

Theyve been getting fed. Now its time to BBQ them over hickory.