walked up on dying deer today what should I do?

Went to check trail cameras at my Jasper County club today and walked up on a dying deer pretty sure it has CWD what should I do should I call the game warden or go back and shoot it

What will the game warden do if they find CWD or blue tongue on your property? Walked up on the deer and it ran about a hundred yards towards the road I came in on after I was done checking the trail cameras and all I left and they're the deer was laying on the road couldn't move

shdw633

What's the issue here??? Call the game warden

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Maybe the deer was seriously injured somehow? Could’ve been shot or hit by a vehicle. Certainly call the warden and let them check it out to make sure.

Hillbilly stalker

Id put it down immediately if it was obviously suffering. I'd call the Dnr , if they didn't want to fool with it, I'd burn it to keep anything from spreading.

Buckman18

I certainly wouldnt touch it in case it was rabies.

Robert28

I’ve had a deer dying in front of my house (I live out in the country and am the only house surrounded by my land). I don’t know what was wrong with it but my guess it was hit by a car cause it couldn’t get up and didn’t even try. Just keep flickering it’s tail and picking its head up. It was out of season so I called DNR. They basically told me “who cares, not our problem” in so many words. So yeah you can call them but don’t be surprised if they laugh you off.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I’ve had a deer dying in front of my house (I live out in the country and am the only house surrounded by my land). I don’t know what was wrong with it but my guess it was hit by a car cause it couldn’t get up and didn’t even try. Just keep flickering it’s tail and picking its head up. It was out of season so I called DNR. They basically told me “who cares, not our problem” in so many words. So yeah you can call them but don’t be surprised if they laugh you off.
DNR is a big agency, with these type of cases call the local Game Management office and ask to speak to a biologist. Some of the other divisions may not know how to handle such a call.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
What will the game warden do if they find CWD or blue tongue on your property? Walked up on the deer and it ran about a hundred yards towards the road I came in on after I was done checking the trail cameras and all I left and they're the deer was laying on the road couldn't move

CWD has not been found in Georgia to date, but blue tongue aka EHD aka hemorrhagic disease is pretty common. Not much you can do about EHD except reduce your doe harvest to compensate for losses. It usually doesn't have significant impacts south of the mountains.

Hillbilly stalker

If it is cwd, burning it does nothing. You can't kill a prion disease with fire.
Good to know, but without testing, I would say it's the safest thing to do with the carcass. How can you kill a prion disease?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
If it is cwd, burning it does nothing. You can't kill a prion disease with fire.

Complete incineration is effective for denaturing the prion, burial or landfills are also effective to remove the threat to other deer. Haven't detected CWD in Georgia to date.