walked up on dying deer today what should I do?

ringorock

Complete incineration is effective for denaturing the prion, burial or landfills are also effective to remove the threat to other deer. Haven't detected CWD in Georgia to date.

Complete incineration by what means? If simply shooting down a deer and setting it on fire until it burns down is incineration, that's not enough. We saw this with scrapie where shepherds would incinerate their flocks only to raise new flock in the same pasture for them to be infected too.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Complete incineration by what means? If simply shooting down a deer and setting it on fire until it burns down is incineration, that's not enough. We saw this with scrapie where shepherds would incinerate their flocks only to raise new flock in the same pasture for them to be infected too.

Using an incinerator for complete consumption of all tissue, something you probably won't achieve by setting fire to a carcass. Those pastures could have been reinfected by prion shed onto the soil and vegetation rather than the burnt carcasses. Without an incinerator, the best bet is either burial or a landfill.

ringorock

Using an incinerator for complete consumption of all tissue, something you probably won't achieve by setting fire to a carcass. Those pastures could have been reinfected by prion shed onto the soil and vegetation rather than the burnt carcasses. Without an incinerator, the best bet is either burial or a landfill.

Which should also be a concern with cwd, prion shed that is. Prions hang around for a long time. LONG TIME.

Not hunting related, but if anyone is curious, there is an Italian family that is affected by a prion disease that robs them of their ability to sleep. The disease is referenced as fatal familial insomnia.

As a note, every hunter needs to be aware of the signs of cwd, even in non detected states. Even though there is no evidence of cross species contamination between deer and human, we won't neccesarily know until it happens. Mad cow was dormant for what? Ten years?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Which should also be a concern with cwd, prion shed that is. Prions hang around for a long time. LONG TIME.

Not hunting related, but if anyone is curious, there is an Italian family that is affected by a prion disease that robs them of their ability to sleep. The disease is referenced as fatal familial insomnia.

As a note, every hunter needs to be aware of the signs of cwd, even in non detected states.

Totally agree. There's an excellent book on prion diseases called "The Family Who Couldn't Sleep" for anyone interested. I suspect you may have read it?

Hillbilly stalker

Bottom line is to put the animal down. Don't let it suffer, and keep it from wandering off with whatever's ailment it suffers from.

Turpentine

Sorry, you can't expect a GW to be an expert in wildlife disease anymore than you can expect a biologist to be an expert in law enforcement. Both working towards the same goal, but very different jobs.
No.
No.
However I would expect the GW to be pretty specific in what I would need to do in OPs situation in order to NOT break any LAWS.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I carry a .22 for this reason. They can give me a ticket if they want to. Sometimes common sense outweighs what’s written down. A suffering animal deserves a quick humane kill. If you’ve ever seen a deer hit by a car with its back broke screaming for all its worth, then you’d understand.
Yep
I had to put one down with a claw hammer one time.

Johnny 71

Junebug
If I were going to call the DNR about the deer, then I would definitely not put it down, their biologists may want to have a look first
If I were going to put it down, then I wouldn’t call, it’s the human thing to do, but it’s not the legal thing to do