Walking Stick * Update with my scouts "

TJay

My wife and I were babysitting the grands the other day and me and my 3 year old grand daughter were out walking behind the house and I noticed there were some nice straight hickory saplings back there so I took one to make a walking stick. My grand daughter asked me why I was cutting that tree and I told her I was going to make a "walking" stick. Of course she wanted one too so I cut her a smaller version. Hers was too small to peel so I had to whittle the bark off of it which was kind of a chore. Hers has some character to it but it's the one she picked out. When her 5 year old sister got home from Kindergarten she wanted one too so I'll let her pick one out the next time we watch them. I'll post a pic of hers in a minute. I'll let mine dry a little while longer then I'll sand those knobs some and apply a sealer. They are handy to have walking around out in the woods.

Attachments

• IMG_2378.JPG
    IMG_2378.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2383.JPG
    IMG_2383.JPG
    378.2 KB · Views: 97

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Looking good. It’s getting close to the time that the bark will not slip off those hickories. Seal the ends quickly to help keep it from splitting.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
My wife and I were babysitting the grands the other day and me and my 3 year old grand daughter were out walking behind the house and I noticed there were some nice straight hickory saplings back there so I took one to make a walking stick. My grand daughter asked me why I was cutting that tree and I told her I was going to make a "walking" stick. Of course she wanted one too so I cut her a smaller version. Hers was too small to peel so I had to whittle the bark off of it which was kind of a chore. Hers has some character to it but it's the one she picked out. When her 5 year old sister got home from Kindergarten she wanted one too so I'll let her pick one out the next time we watch them. I'll post a pic of hers in a minute. I'll let mine dry a little while longer then I'll sand those knobs some and apply a sealer. They are handy to have walking around out in the woods.
You do realize you may become addicted to making walking sticks? I’ve known of it to happen.

trad bow

Absolutely. I'll have to tell them no sword fights, no jousting matches, they are not spears and they are walking sticks not running sticks.
No, let them live and learn. Learning to use a stick for self defense against whatever crosses their path will serve them well in life.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
My dad made a bunch on walk staffs in his day. Carved on all of them and my mom painted the carvings. I have several. They are priceless heirlooms to me. I have thought of taking up where they left off. Just never have yet.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
My dad made a bunch on walk staffs in his day. Carved on all of them and my mom painted the carvings. I have several. They are priceless heirlooms to me. I have thought of taking up where they left off. Just never have yet.
Go for it, you’ll like it!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Here is a couple that my wife and I use on trips . We've added walking staff pins to them. He carved the sticks and my mom painted the carvings. These two are probably 30 years old.IMG_20220708_085620469.jpg

K80Shooter

We have several mountain laurels along our creek, They make for some fine sticks with a lot of character.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We have several mountain laurels along our creek, They make for some fine sticks with a lot of character.
Hard as woodpecker lips, too.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Some of the coolest walking sticks are saplings that have had vines growing on them, coiling along the sapling's length. I've been looking for one, but haven't seen one worth cutting so far. Gil

reds

I just happened on this thread, mostly read the deer threads. This hickory stick thing
is news to me. I have plenty hickory around me, so if I want to make a walking stick:
1. Which month is best to cut one here in middle Ga?
2.Do you peel it right away?
3. How long to let it dry?
4. What do you seal it with?
Thanks

TJay

Mine wound up have a little "bow" to it once it dryed up. I think I cut ours in early or mid May. As far as peeling it I just workd a piece of the bark away from the wood and grabbed it with some needlenose pliers and pullted it off in strips. It's not a process I had any prior knowledge of but I saw a piece of bark pulled back from the wood and thought maybe I could peel a little off. It came off really easily, just pulled off.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Some of the coolest walking sticks are saplings that have had vines growing on them, coiling along the sapling's length. I've been looking for one, but haven't seen one worth cutting so far. Gil
Look in a creek bottom where there are honeysuckle vines

Reactions: GLS

trad bow

Mine wound up have a little "bow" to it once it dryed up. I think I cut ours in early or mid May. As far as peeling it I just workd a piece of the bark away from the wood and grabbed it with some needlenose pliers and pullted it off in strips. It's not a process I had any prior knowledge of but I saw a piece of bark pulled back from the wood and thought maybe I could peel a little off. It came off really easily, just pulled off.
You can peel the bark if you cut down the tree as the sap is rising. Once it sets will be when scraping it off comes in to play. Lot easier catching the sap rising.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

Gil, I`ve found some nice ones in overgrown fencerows before.