Want guide for deer-dog hunt

ACRAthens

Hi All,

A few of my hunting buddies and I would like to find a guide service that offers dog-guided deer hunts here in Georgia.

Please let me know if you are such a guide or can recommend anyone nearby.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ACRAthens

Thanks, Dog Hunter. I'm willing to go to South GA, too. I just don't know much about the methods and I really want to see how its done before its completely gone!

coastalredneck

Thanks, Dog Hunter. I'm willing to go to South GA, too. I just don't know much about the methods and I really want to see how its done before its completely gone![/QUOT

In my opinion it will never be completely gone.....it will just be dubbed "Black-market-deer-doggin"..hahah....no guide service needed....I"ll bet ya!!!

ACRAthens

Nice pig. What the heck are you wearing?

Hi StikR!

I belong to a group of "primitive" hunters and I'm wearing 14th century style hunting clothes made of linen, wool and leather. Well, we're a group of hunters (see our recent write-up in Field and Stream, if you're interested: http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/gear/hunting-gear/2011/08/getting-medieval-serious-hunting-gear-middle-ages) that pursue all types of game using medieval hunting methods (ie. dog, spear, crossbow, longbow, etc). My hunting buddies were from all over (England, Canada, Louisiana, and Up North!).

We use mainly late Middle Ages hunting methods as found in period hunting treatises from Western Europe. (Google "Gaston Phoebus" and "The Book of the Chase" if you're interested). Members of our group have taken elk, red deer, whitetail, all with crossbow or longbow and handmade arrows or bolts. We've taken boar with spear, bow, and sword. We especially like to take game using hunting dogs. We really value "the chase" and will sometimes hunt from horseback. Others in our group are falconers and ferreters and have taken rabbit, hare, groundhog, squirrel, grouse, partridge and pheasant.

You can see our group webpage and photo galleries at StHubertsRangers.org.

So yeah, we also hunt in normal clothes, too. :D I particularly like shooting trap and skeet, and hunting for turkey and whitetail. So we're semi-normal. My wife says I'm dorky but not wimpy. I guess that's all I can hope for! :bounce:

ACRAthens

Here are some images from our recent boar hunt if you're interested. We took home 8 boar before the day was out. We cleaned them up, roasted one for supper and called it a day! The rest are in our freezers and doled out to friends.

Attachments

• Looking for boar.jpg
    Looking for boar.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 749
  • watching the catch dog be lazy.jpg
    watching the catch dog be lazy.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 744
  • Wading through palmetto bushes.jpg
    Wading through palmetto bushes.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 783
  • Adam with quarry 2.jpg
    Adam with quarry 2.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 751
  • 422959_10150550723072461_348340897460_9108000_1547018885_n.jpg
    422959_10150550723072461_348340897460_9108000_1547018885_n.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 845

simpleman30

now i understand why you would ask the question you asked in your other post! kinda makes sense, as that's the type of hunting you do! looks like fun. i've seen paintings from the medieval times with hounds and men on horseback chasing deer. many of our club's members tell stories of riding and shooting deer from horseback. i think they rode horseback as recently as the 1970's.

specialk

Neat!

ACRAthens

now i understand why you would ask the question you asked in your other post! kinda makes sense, as that's the type of hunting you do! looks like fun. i've seen paintings from the medieval times with hounds and men on horseback chasing deer. many of our club's members tell stories of riding and shooting deer from horseback. i think they rode horseback as recently as the 1970's.

That's exactly the kind of hunts we like to do! As said before, we're modern hunters, too - but we are all history buffs and like our primitive arms as well.

roperdoc

Looks like you folks have at least as much fun as the rest of us! There's nothing like sharing a hunt with buddies that enjoy it . Maybe we'll meet some fall.:cool:
PS
I just might name my next catch dog "Spear" so I can say I killed a hog with a spear, too!:D