Wanted to share with you addicts

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
LOL...how cool is that...my old stomping grounds...used to run up and down that beach from "the Hook" down to Manasquan inlet when I lived in Asbury Park. Great fishing...some fall sunrises there would be a wall of birds working as far as the eye could see north and south...from 50 to a few hundred yards off shore. Shrewsbury rocks always produced.

Maybe you got to eat at Bahr's Moby if you were in Atlantic Highlands, always a treat.
20211118_064836.jpgIMG_4765.jpg

StriperAddict

Dang what a trip and great pics!

Long Island Sound is where my dad and I caught blues, no stripes. Watching a boil of surface bait fish would alert us to them. We'd jig for bunker (oily bait fish) and toss out cut pieces and hang on! I know stripers get caught around Montauk Point.

Fresh bluefish is a great treat. Just bleed and chill on ice and grill in 2 days or less.

Israel

BANNED
Dang what a trip and great pics!

Long Island Sound is where my dad and I caught blues, no stripes. Watching a boil of surface bait fish would alert us to them. We'd jig for bunker (oily bait fish) and toss out cut pieces and hang on! I know stripers get caught around Montauk Point.

Fresh bluefish is a great treat. Just bleed and chill on ice and grill in 2 days or less.
Although I have never caught stripers on (what we called the north shore, having grown up on LI) friends used to, and my son in law does presently. Though I don't think the "run" gets as thick in the Sound as the sea side beaches they are pretty far ranging as I used to catch them (fishing with bucktails and plugs) in tributaries that feed the Hudson River some 100 miles north of NYC around Hudson, NY. Which includes a funny story about a plug burying a treble hook well past the barb as one flopped during attempted release.

Obviously they are quite adaptable as Lake Marion boasts a healthy population. And LDB has pics of some taken out of (I think) Lanier.

Walter...I also used to fish with my dad in the Sound out of Centerport, LI, renting a skiff and kicker for the day. Great memories. But I also know the Sound is accessible to several other States...even though, I think, most NY'ers (as they seem to do with almost everything) hold it as their own. From where did you and your dad launch in the making of your memories?

I'm glad Bullet shared some of his more recent with us.

StriperAddict

From where did you and your dad launch in the making of your memories?

I'm glad Bullet shared some of his more recent with us.

Hempstead Harbor, north of Albertson, my home town. Fishing with my brother and dad in the sound were my best memories!

I don't think stripers came into the sound, at least we never caught them there. I mentioned Montauk Point since I remember stories of big stripes caught there.
Hudson river, wow, another location I didn't fish. Moved to Jersey and fishing came to a standstill, until Lanier and a local community lake many years later happened.

One more, my dad and I got up early on July 4th, 1976 to boat over and get close to NYC, because old ships, including the Artemis were stationed at anchor before the 200th celebration of Independence. I took a few B&W pics of those ships and still have the 8x10s I made in my makeshift basement darkroom. I wish I had thought to do a "selfie" with my Pentax camera of me and my dad that day!

So glad you've got sound fishing memories from up there my friend!

Israel

BANNED
Hempstead Harbor, north of Albertson, my home town. Fishing with my brother and dad in the sound were my best memories!

I don't think stripers came into the sound, at least we never caught them there. I mentioned Montauk Point since I remember stories of big stripes caught there.
Hudson river, wow, another location I didn't fish. Moved to Jersey and fishing came to a standstill, until Lanier and a local community lake many years later happened.

One more, my dad and I got up early on July 4th, 1976 to boat over and get close to NYC, because old ships, including the Artemis were stationed at anchor before the 200th celebration of Independence. I took a few B&W pics of those ships and still have the 8x10s I made in my makeshift basement darkroom. I wish I had thought to do a "selfie" with my Pentax camera of me and my dad that day!

So glad you've got sound fishing memories from up there my friend!
LOL...did we know this? Ever discuss it...? My wife reminds me of things I have talked about but forgotten with her, and my present surprise with you might be the same. You might say "Israel...don't you remember we had this conversation...?" Albertson (of which I had never heard till about 5 minutes ago) is just north of areas I am very familiar with...having gone through HS in Mineola...though I lived and "grew up" in Bethpage. Pretty funny to me...

StriperAddict

LOL...did we know this? Ever discuss it...? My wife reminds me of things I have talked about but forgotten with her, and my present surprise with you might be the same. You might say "Israel...don't you remember we had this conversation...?" Albertson (of which I had never heard till about 5 minutes ago) is just north of areas I am very familiar with...having gone through HS in Mineola...though I lived and "grew up" in Bethpage. Pretty funny to me...
I graduated Mineola High school in 1976, no kidding!
Took a year of German with Dr. Mercerod, art with Riki Nemser, Social studies with Bob Storch to name a few. Got thrown in Mr. Ratto's detention after a student pushed me into another student and that got the gloves off!
Wow, your turn, only I don't wish to keep the glory of the subject away from striper fishing!
I'll see ya later over at the Campfire forum? Maybe we'll start a High school memories post?

Or DM is ok too!

I'm pausing with a loud "NY WOW", and of course, wondering what was the year of your MHS graduation :cheers:!!!

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I encourage any contributions to a thread that got those thoughts to share going. If it weren't for the initial post these things may have never been known or discussed or have made the world a little smaller and relatable. Lots of paths to take when conversing. I luv it.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Today we used the same Charter that we used for the Stripers last November. The fluke have been slow and spotty at best. Since four in our party were gals and one of my Son's had never fished the ocean before I was just hoping we got into something so they could have action. Despite the bottom being full of fish it took about 2 hrs for them to want to get their bite on and the Porgies got active.
They caught 30+ and 27 came home.
The day was beautiful and the fishing was fun.
20220628_061929.jpg20220628_095428.jpgC51A73FD-.jpg317B7D9F-.jpgIMG_2947.jpgIMG_9524.jpg

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I may have missed it but what dock did y’all go out of?

Looks like a fun time!!! One of my favorite things to do.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Hey, this offer is as real as the hog hunting offer. There ain't too much I love myself for fishing than open water and the possibility of wrangling with something that'll put you over your head in discovery. One time I was fishing with another not 300 yards off the beach in Belmar, NJ when a whale breached the surface, it caused me to momentarily..."lose my religion". Yeah, how I am so easily entreated to the sea.

But if you ever have an interest in seeing whether you can have a table like this at the end of the night...there are guys down here that have gigging trips. I know it ain't the same as open water as cruising a humid backwater probably smells more funky than that ocean mist...but hey...Imma guess you hunted in swamps "going where the prey is". But yeah...even Pennsylvania swamps in November don't "off gas" like a November swamp down here.

Anyway...if it's for the loadin' of a cooler...looks like some of these guys got it pretty well dialed in....Who knows...maybe some'd even say "sure you can bring a bow". (If you also bow hunt...or do you love the smell of cordite...too much?)

Hey, I just looked...feral hog is open all year on private lands...but also this in regard to Ft Stewart

So you could be eating rolled flounder stuffed with hog. Or vice versa.View attachment 1163300
Gigging in some flats with a kayak and a full face snorkel is the bomb.

Latest posts