Wanting to test the waters

Southern Thunder

I've been hunting with traditional bow gear exclusively for the past few years and have accomplished a life long goal of harvesting game animals with my tradional bows.
I have been reading this forum and think I may would like to try a flint lock. I am definitely new to these types of rifles but have been studying on them pretty hard. I guess I want to go time traveling back to the days of blackpowder and buckskins. I was born a few years to late.
I would like to ask for some advice on what would be a good rifle to get started with or any recommendations that anyone would be willing to recommend. I will be mainly hunting whitetail and an occasional pig or two.
Is there anywhere or anyone local that I might could talk to to get me started in the right direction. I live close to Moultrie Ga. Thanks in advance

frankwright

I would steer you towards a .50 or .54 caliber Traditional type rifle like the Lyman Trade Rifle or something similar. It is a good starter rifle for just over $400.
You might do some searching and find a used rifle but be sure to drop a little light down the bore and check for pitting.

leoparddog

If you want a flintlock for deer and hog hunting and be "traditional", I'd say a .54 cal is minimum. A .50 cal round ball is only 177gr and while it will do the trick, it is not in the same league as the .54's 230gr ball. A Lyman Great Plains flintlock will .54 will be the entry level flintlock for you. The Lyman Trade rifle with a faster 1-48" will also shoot Maxi-ball.

If you want to shoot round ball only, go .54. If you think you might want to be less traditional, then the Trade Rifle with the faster twist is ok and you can drop to a .50.

A Pedersoli flintlock can be had for a thousand or less and there you can choose between say a .50 cal flintlock (1-48") or other choices like a 20 gauge musket
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/pedersoli-indian-trade-musket-rifle-20-ga-flintlock-s-282.html

Next step would be a real long rifle and then you are in the $1400 and up range. I went with a Late Lancaster kit from TVM and TVM will sell you completed rifles or rifles in the white. https://www.tvmnatchez.com/muzzleloaders. Lots of resources out there if you are interested in a long rifle.

Here's mine from a TVM kit.

Attachments

• Completed.jpg
    Completed.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 18

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Why don't you go to Lenox,Ga. April 12-16 for their rendezvous and shoot? There will be knowledgeable people there to answer your questions,and show you some flinchlocks. I've never ran up on a real grouch or smart aleck at their meeting,good folks. That's Brushy Creek Muzzleloaders if you want to google it.

Southern Thunder

Thanks for all the information. This is a big help. I'm trying to do all my research before I get a rifle. If it's like traditional bow hunting there is a lot to it. Thanks again for all the help.

Roadking65

I don't know what your budget is but if its anything close to mine those rifles are a bit high. No doubt good quality I'm sure. I purchased a TC Hawken replica. Its a .50 cal w 1:48 twist. It shoots patched round ball the best and holds a good tight pattern at 100 yds with open sights. I've taken two very nice bucks with it so far and I like it. However its not a flint lock and has been converted to use 209 primers. I spent $200 on the rifle used. Also its a bit shorter compared to the longer ones mentioned here, but I'm a short guy and its easier for me to weild a 4ft, rather than a 6 ft rifle.

What ever you pick please share with us!

Todd Cook

" I want to go time traveling back to the days of blackpowder and buckskins. I was born a few years to late. " I know exactly what you mean.

I think which gun you choose depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go.

I have a Lyman Great plains in .54 percussion. It is a fine rifle; well made and beautiful. It shoots better than I can and I've killed several animals with it. It is not a historically correct rifle, if that matters to you. Very nice, but not historically accurate.

I also have a .62 flintlock colonial/English fowler that I built. I did a lot of research and it is very close to what would have been made from say 1760-1780. I cast the balls, make the patches, made my possibles bag, etc. It means far more to me than the Lyman ever will. But you could buy 2 of the Lymans for the same money.

You sound like a patched roundball guy to me. You probably could find a really nice used flinter for $1000 or so, and it will be something to pass to your grandkids. Careful though; next you'll be looking for breeches and leggings, or maybe a Capote coat. This stuff's addictive!