War Between the States

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Would that be McClelland? Some of our local boys were at Dam no. 1 and saw action when he made first contact with Prince John.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Ah, yes, I was nearly a year late with my guess, influenced by my relatives having been there. Surely nothing more important might have happened near there earlier. LOL

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
My fathers family took different sides during the war, sometimes even swapping sides. I do know one of my great uncles did that and was caught in Virginia after a battle and was recognized by a couple of North Carolina soldiers. He was pulled out of the prisoner ranks and hung. My mother has the information so I’ll try to write it all down today when I go check on her.
This thread is great and really has peaked my desire to learn where my ancestors actually fought and some died

westcobbdog

Powerful story trad bow, tell us more sometime.

On my Dad's side, his Mom had a GG Grandad who was a Brig CSA General and Jeff Davis' buddy in the class of 28' from West Point. History says he was more like Bragg than Bedford Forest, not real good.
Gen Drayton commanded the land defenses at Port Royal vs his Bro Percival Drayton, an officer in the US Navy before the war and he stayed blue at seccession. They went head to head at Hilton Head and the defeat damaged the South badly, giving the blue bellies their first real toe hold around these parts.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My fathers family took different sides during the war, sometimes even swapping sides. I do know one of my great uncles did that and was caught in Virginia after a battle and was recognized by a couple of North Carolina soldiers. He was pulled out of the prisoner ranks and hung. My mother has the information so I’ll try to write it all down today when I go check on her.
This thread is great and really has peaked my desire to learn where my ancestors actually fought and some died

Very interesting. ItS good that we try to learn about and identify with those who had those hard decisions to make then. It’s hard to imagine leaving home and family like they did.

westcobbdog

In 1834 a low country plantation home called The Blessing was built outside Cola SC.
Later a man was hunting there, had an accident and spent a few days there recovering. Who was it?

BassRaider

Southern General known as "Old Alleghney". Led Stonewall's old division at Gettysburg, Wilderness, & Spotsylvania. Captured at the "Bloody Angle". Who was he?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Are you thinking of Longstreet?

Status
Not open for further replies.