War Between the States

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I don't know about delusional but Hood and Burnside could have had a pretty good argument over which of them was the most needlessly wasteful of their soldiers lives.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You're speaking of Hood?

John Bell Hood is exactly who I mean. I am not a fan. His ramble to Tennessee cost the Confederates the loss of many men. It’s believed by some he was addicted to opium after losing the leg at Chickamauga.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
John Bell Hood is exactly who I mean. I am not a fan. His ramble to Tennessee cost the Confederates the loss of many men. It’s believed by some he was addicted to opium after losing the leg at Chickamauga.
That makes another thing we agree on,he was costly in Southern lives. Never heard of a possible addiction,but if he could get the dope he might have been.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
That makes another thing we agree on,he was costly in Southern lives. Never heard of a possible addiction,but if he could get the dope he might have been.

The opium drug called laudanum was what he was said to be on.

westcobbdog

I don't know about delusional but Hood and Burnside could have had a pretty good argument over which of them was the most needlessly wasteful of their soldiers lives.
Add Grant to that list.
General Joseph Johnston is blamed for that. We know now that he couldn’t have repelled the invaders. He saved many a good mans life by retreating. Many of whom were sacrificed by a delusional officer who replaced Joe Johnston.
Joe Johnston had his faults but he was a master of defense and almost never had his lines broken, except where Hoods lines were. Joe”s defensive prowess probably saved thousands of Southern men.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
He had severe injuries both to his arm and loss of a leg. He probably needed the meds. What he didn’t need was to be the commander of an Army.
I read that he did some recuperation time near President Davis and became friends.
He also is said to have bashed Johnston in letters sent to Davis. If he actually did that he should have been busted to private.

westcobbdog

Speaking of Hood, name a few prominent Gen. Officers who were outraged enough that they tendered their resignation when Hood took over the Army from Johnston.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
850 posts in almost 5 years. We wouldn’t make it as drivelers ?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Smaller fan base here. Better more meaningful discussions here. I usually just read and follow but don’t understand why it’s not more popular.

Duff

What is you guys opinion of the “Grant” series on the last few nights? Accurate? What did and didn’t you like about it.

I have my opinions but want to see if they are close to y’alls. I love American history, but I know about 1% of what you guys know about the war between the states.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have read many books related to the war and it’s participants. I admit that I have never read a book dedicated to the full life of Grant. I enjoyed learning more about him assuming it was accurate.

I was disappointed that the documentary skipped giving more information about some events. Example. The battle of Chickamauga that was the reason Grant was sent to Chattanooga.
Another example was not much emphasis on the many months long siege of Petersburg.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I think the Grant series is a pretty good one. Of course it has a lot of the slant that is brought on by modern day judgments of the ideas and ideals of previous times. They did point out Grant's supposed conflict with the slavery issue. His father was an Abolitionist. Grant said that he was not and was against slavery until it became a rallying point during the War. I have never thought of Grant as much of a tactician beyond the idea of amassing a vastly superior force of soldiers, equipment, and supplies and throwing it at the enemy wherever he could be found. Those were exactly the right tactics to defeat the Southern Armies, however.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That's a good one. My first father-in-law had a framed print of Lee. I got it when he passed and kept it in my office. At some point I needed to clean the glass and took the backing off the frame. I discovered that the picture was a given out as a premium on some variety of Post Cereal sometime back in the 30s. You remember, Send in this box top along with 15 cents to ..... I thought that was cool.

In my office, I had it on the opposite wall from a picture of Georgia's electric chair that I got the first time I went out for a visit. I don't think one can put up either picture now without being haggled by he PC police. It is still hanging at my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.