War Between the States

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcobbdog

That's a retread question, Sidney Lanier was a brother to the deer, plants, leaves, trees bugs water air ect...how in the world could he ever shoot a yankee is beyond me. Don't think he ever did.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I just going to admit right up front to being stumped on that one.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Don’t know the answer but I had a GG Grandfather there. Sgt RC Blalock. 52nd Ga. He was among those surrendered and paroled.

Resica

It was an impossible question gentlemen, just like my next one. 17 Confederate regiments and 22 Union.

Resica

Another impossible question. How many Ga. and Pennsylvania regiments at Gettysburg, including Southern legions and battalions, excluding artillery. I was surprised at the number of Ga. regiments. Probably shouldn't have been.

Resica

39 Georgia regiments, legions and battalions at Gettysburg. 72 Pa. regiments at Gettysburg, if my counting is accurate!;)

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Now we are really getting into the weeds. LOL

@Resica have you ever seen a map that plots the spot where Gen Semmes fell? It has to be near the Wheatfield but I have not found a marker.

Resica

Now we are really getting into the weeds. LOL

@Resica have you ever seen a map that plots the spot where Gen Semmes fell? It has to be near the Wheatfield but I have not found a marker.
I have not sir. They say mortally wounded in the thigh in "The Wheatfield". Someone knows.

35 Whelen

From the marker in the Rose Woods
Army of Northern Virginia
Longstreet’s Corps McLaw’s Division
Semmes’ Brigade
10th 50th 51st 53rd Georgia Infantry
July 2. Arrived on the field about 3.30 P. M. Advanced about 5 o’clock in support of Kershaw’s and Anderson’s Brigades and took an active part in the conflict on Rose Hill and in the ravine and forest east of there in the vicinity of the Loop. Participated in the general advance late in the evening by which the Union forces were forced out of the Wheatfield and across Plum Run Valley. Brig. Gen. J. Semmes fell mortally wounded in the ravine near the Loop.

https://gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/confederate-headquarters/semmes-brigade/

westcobbdog

This man entered West Point at 16 and roomed with McClellan then Burnside.
At Antietam he arrived just in time to save the Reb Army from destruction. Who was it and what was he wearing, he took off his jacket before arrival.

Status
Not open for further replies.